Remote Video Storage

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
sidd

Remote Video Storage

Post by sidd »

Hi,

How do I get ZM to backup the video stored on the ZM machine to a remote computer's harddrive. I would like to do this in case the ZM machine is stolen (it is located at the same site as the cameras), the video will be constantly backed up to the remote device.

Also, any suggestions on how to go about choosing cameras? What are the features that determine my needs.

Thanks
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

what about rsync and ssh
http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html
rcswrc

Post by rcswrc »

I'll go for rsync, but there is also an option to use ftp upload with zoneminder.
sidd

Post by sidd »

I was thinking of a program that dynamically backs up data if there is any change to the file and does so immediately. the point i guess would be that in the event of a burgulary and the perpetrator takes the zoneminder machine that has the stored video, atleast some of it would have been transferred to the remote location.
marrandy

Post by marrandy »

So you mean streaming it to a remote server in real time.

I haven't done it, but perhaps someone with more in depth experience will chime in.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Real Time in that case check out
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
coke

Post by coke »

Don't forget bandwidth. How fat's your pipe to the remote location, and how many cameras do you have? Real time syncing of the amount of cameras I have vs the amount of pipe i have going out wouldn't work for me. Perhaps just a camera facing the ZM server itself (or out from it, whichever would give you a better facial angle) that syncs in real-time with motion would be easier to pull off.
sidd

Post by sidd »

I have 3-4cams. DSL going out of the location of the cameras and fios coming into the remote storage. I guess I can go down on the fps, any suggestions on what is reasonable fps to record in?

The cameras will be continuously recording and not motion activated.