HowTo - Configuring ZoneMinder on Fedora 11

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
thewonderer57

HowTo - Configuring ZoneMinder on Fedora 11

Post by thewonderer57 »

Hi all,

Following the help from "cordel", I was able to get my system setup with a working Zoneminder on my Fedora PC. I suspect that my description may apply to one or two other distro's also?

I want to share my efforts with the rest of you, to potentially save you the time it took me to figure out a few things! A few things it covers: apache "permission denied", database problems, webcam configuration problems...

Enjoy:
Tutorial for Installing ZoneMinder on Fedora
cordel

Post by cordel »

It would serve far better to update/add the bits of info to the wiki so that it is in one place.
tibbs

Post by tibbs »

If there's anything that we (the folks who package Zoneminder for Fedora) missed from the README.Fedora file included in the Fedora packages which would have helped you get up and going faster, please let us know. I suspect that after doing an install myself today, I'll be updating it with info about kernel.shmall/shmmax and probably some selinux policy as well.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I think the only thing that might have helped in this case would have been to note that an upgrade requires zmupdate.pl to be run. Otherwise from the last time I checked, your notes look good. It would have likely avoided him reinstalling from scratch assuming that the readme.fedora was actually read.
tibbs

Post by tibbs »

Hmm, well the file does say that in order to upgrade, you need to run zmupdate.pl. I'm certainly open to suggestions if you think we could word that better.

Upgrades
========

1. You will need to upgrade the ZoneMinder database as described in the
manual. This command should be sufficient:

zmupdate.pl --version=<from version>
cordel

Post by cordel »

ah, then it's been updated since I last looked which was quiet a while ago.

If you want I can down the package and have a look, just let me know.

I might have a script or two to offer you a bit down the road as well that would likely compliment the fedora way of doing things.

If you want help with SELinux let me know. I had started back on FC3 but never got around to finishing it. Guess it about due time :lol:
tibbs

Post by tibbs »

The stuff we package is at http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/zoneminder/; the file in question (for F11) is http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpm ... iew=markup

I'm sure I'll be in there messing with this soon as it looks like an update is coming.

WIth regards to selinux, there's some info in the wiki but I'd really like it to be simpler than requiring folks to mess with policy themselves. I've passed the policy in the wiki on to the selinux maintainers with some additional info; we'll see what they have to say.
cordel

Post by cordel »

The only thing to maybe note in the document is the freshen database option in zmupdate.pl -f to deal with changes in the configuration. Otherwise looks fairly good as it is. I don't recall any other steps really needed.

I don't think that SELinux policy will fly with Fedora, it's a bit to lose I think to be accepted as it is. Between ZM, apache, mysql, and V4L drivers, the policy will be rather enormous. Also will need to have somewhere (maybe the start script) to set the context of anything that might be user moved or created (ie. events folder) but that might also be outside of Fedoras guidelines. One of these days I'll read the guidelines :wink:
discoverlinux

Wiki

Post by discoverlinux »

I've update the Wiki with known problems for Fedora 11 and 12.

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _11_and_12