ajax errors?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Until we get a real fix for the ajax bug here's a filthy rotten hack that should keep your system fairly functional.

In /var/lib/zm/www/skins/classic/views/montage.php insert a 'meta refresh' after line 76

Since this forum will not let me post the code without borking it just see the first example here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_refresh

The example is 5 seconds. Maybe 600 so 10 minutes would be appropriate. The whole montage view will reload so if a stream has hung with the ajax error it will restart. You can adjust the time as you see fit. With my system which has only 3 cams presently the reload is just a quick flicker, not too annoying.

You can apply the same hack to the "watch" view if you are having the same problem with it.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

Filthy rotten hack i love it, but you forgot to mention ugly too heehee. Anyways even with out the hack if i have the resolution turned down on my test system 320X240 with only 5 cameras installs (one an ip camera not through the dvr card) I only get the error once in the beginning then the system is good for along time hours before it start to get the ajax error again.

However on my 8 camera system 320X240 when i start montage i get the error a bunch of time and it does not seem to go away. Also the system has a real hard time updating the camera info may update 1 out of 8 cameras every 5 seconds. Also this system is on an external internet connection if that makes some difference?

ps RAM is always almost full on both my test systems on has 2GB one is 512MB. Not sure but this might be a linux thing i know once widoze grabs RAM for something it rarely give it back linux might be doing the same?
rdmelin wrote:Until we get a real fix for the ajax bug here's a filthy rotten hack that should keep your system fairly functional.

In /var/lib/zm/www/skins/classic/views/montage.php insert a 'meta refresh' after line 76

Since this forum will not let me post the code without borking it just see the first example here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_refresh

The example is 5 seconds. Maybe 600 so 10 minutes would be appropriate. The whole montage view will reload so if a stream has hung with the ajax error it will restart. You can adjust the time as you see fit. With my system which has only 3 cams presently the reload is just a quick flicker, not too annoying.

You can apply the same hack to the "watch" view if you are having the same problem with it.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

RAM is always almost full on both my test systems on has 2GB one is 512MB. Not sure but this might be a linux thing i know once widoze grabs RAM for something it rarely give it back linux might be doing the same?
Not a bad thing. A good OS or app will use what RAM is availible to improve performance. The command 'free' will tell you how much is in buffers and cache. This will still be availible to apps that need it. But in the mean time it can drastically reduce disk IO.

If you are monitoring your cameras from the ZMLarch system check out lopezlean's zmviewer as an alternative to browser / montage.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9114

It doesn't use ajax or any javascript so it isn't affected by the bug. It really is a nice simple frontend to zoneminder

Screenshot here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... iewer1.png

Package here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/archlinux/i686/

There are windows and ubuntu packages availible from the sourceforge site too.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

rdmelin wrote:
RAM is always almost full on both my test systems on has 2GB one is 512MB. Not sure but this might be a linux thing i know once widoze grabs RAM for something it rarely give it back linux might be doing the same?
Not a bad thing. A good OS or app will use what RAM is availible to improve performance. The command 'free' will tell you how much is in buffers and cache. This will still be availible to apps that need it. But in the mean time it can drastically reduce disk IO.

If you are monitoring your cameras from the ZMLarch system check out lopezlean's zmviewer as an alternative to browser / montage.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9114

It doesn't use ajax or any javascript so it isn't affected by the bug. It really is a nice simple frontend to zoneminder

Screenshot here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... iewer1.png

Package here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/archlinux/i686/

There are windows and ubuntu packages availible from the sourceforge site too.
Thanks for making this a package i was watching that thread awhile back as one of my machines is hooked to a 52" SONY (not mine i'm to poor for anything bigger than about 14") this would be great for that purpose. however i downloaded the viewer and ran pacman -U zmveiwer.whateverversion.gz and it all went ok but when i try to start zm viewer i get an error

mviewer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libzmviewercore.so: undefined symbol: _ZN15QCalendarWidget11eventFilterEP7QObjectP6QEvent
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I think "pacman -Sy qt" will fix that for you.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I don't really know what the original problem is here but one thing to mention is that in 1.24.x the DVR functions use a per-stream local buffer of images. This adds a little to the complexity of zms but not a lot. If you don't want this functionality you can turn it off by setting 'Stream Replay Image Buffer' to 0 in the Buffer section of the Monitor view.

It only really applies for individual streaming and not in montage etc anyway so I don't know if that helps or not.
Phil
donnie-gg

"ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG"

Post by donnie-gg »

#1) First let me thank everyone who has been working on the"ZONMINDER SUPERBUG" Special thanks to lonewolf,c0mputerking, rmedlin for pursuing this urgent matter.

#2) The ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG has been a very serious problem for me for many weeks now and has rendered my Zoneminder system completely unusable.

#3) I have now sent 33 emails to newvisionantenna and received 32 from him in regard to my problems with the ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG. Thats 65 emails.

#)4 The biggest single problem with the ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG has not been documented. It clearly leads not only to instability of Zonemnder but ALSO to the instability of those poor Zoneminder users afflicted with the dreaded ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG.

#5) I am not sure I can be any any further use as the extreme stress of dealing with the ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG has sent kill -9 's deep inside my mental processes. I am now a raving stress case.

#6) I want to thank c0mputerking for his late night confessions of doubt .I quite assure you c0mputerking is dealing with the ZONEMINDER SUPERBUG a lot better than I am. That was truly a masterpiece c0mputerking.

c0mputerking wrote:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:04 am
Dude my clients don't run Opera I really feel like abandoning ship right now. l know zm is open source and i have not paid anything other than optional donations which is the way it should be.

Seriously i have spent so much time and money (hardware) on this project and i am never willing to give up, but if it doesn't work with firefox ie or seamonkey what the hell.

Do you know the looks i get when i install seamonkey? like is this guy crazy does he know what he is doing? how much did it cost to fix our computer the last time the it guy installed something open source on it.

Think of it like this i have this great product it is so wonderful and reliable it can be used for security to monitor your home, but, but, but, and to top it all off now i have to use opera? while we are grasping at straws why not chrome it beta totally unreliable too.

I sorry this is just Friday night rant. I love zoneminder it almost works great.

THANK YOU RDMELIN thank you all, this is a great community and i really really appreciate, and understand all the time and effort put forth

I will try again tomorrow starting with Opera
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I'm not really sure its a superbug (we've had bigger!) and I don't know if it's worth all those capital letters but I know it's been a problem for people and I'm sorry about that.

Ross managed to distill the issue for me with the help of a couple of other users and there is a proposed fix on the ZM svn right now. I am waiting for Ross (or any of you affected) to confirm that it fixes your issues before I wrap it all up with a few other things into a 1.24.2 release. So if you want to try it out then please try the svn ZM and see how you get on. It looks like it's something that has been around for a while actually but just had more obvious manifestations in 1.24.x
Phil
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Phil, are there any db changes since 1.24.1 that I need to address?
If not I can have a package up in a few minutes for testing.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

OK, I see there are just a few monitor presets added which I'm going to ignore for now.
There is package which ZMLarch users can use to test found here:
http://www.isentrix.com/pub/zoneminder/ ... pkg.tar.gz

You will need to stop zoneminder, do "pacman -R zoneminder", "pacman -U zoneminder-svn-2839-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz" and restart.

I currently have this installed and montage view running and so far so good.:)

Please test if you can. If there is a problem you can remove the svn package and revert to the 1.24.1 the same way.
RockaFunk

Post by RockaFunk »

It look likes the streaming issues are fix in the latest svn. Great work from the writer of this incredible good program. Still testing on some more systems.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

rdmelin wrote:Phil, are there any db changes since 1.24.1 that I need to address?
If not I can have a package up in a few minutes for testing.
The db changes (which are in zm_update-1.24.1.sql) as you have noticed relate to monitor presents. Rather than just a few being added they have been corrected to work properly with the different versions of V4L. It is not directly relevant to this issue however so can be ignored for now.
Phil
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

Looks like it's working better. If someone could log into the zoneminder section and let me know if the problems are fixed I'll upload and update. I've already go an update for my DVD for this, but would like some confirmation the issues are fixed first.

The demo is running the SVN version I installed today, 2nd of April.
c0mputerking

Post by c0mputerking »

hmm i am still getting the error and my montage still freezes on several cameras did the upgrade as suggested for ZMLarch. To tired will do more digging tommorow
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

If you are getting negative FPS values then you do not have the fix. If you are getting freezes without negative FPS then you may have a different issue.
Phil