In total, I made 4 changes as I found that not any one of them did the trick by itself, but together, it seemed to run better and FireFox crashed much less often, if at all.
1. I modified ajax/stream.php
from: if ( $numSockets === false )
to: if ( $numSockets === false || $numSockets < 1 )
2. I employed MarcoP's fix above into the index.php file
3. I followed jfkastner's post: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15145
and made those changes to /etc/apache2/apache2.conf file
- As he did them in Webmin, they were defined slightly differently in the actual .conf file so you need to set to the following:
4. Finally I also edited the /etc/security/limits.conf file to add these lines.
* - nofile 4096
root - nofile 4096
www-data - nofile 4096
In total, all of these together seemed to make a small impact each. In the end, it became more and more stable. All of this information was gleaned from various different posts in the Zoneminder forums, so the credit goes to all of the folks that worked this out, I just put them all together.
For the record, my system is running in Sun VirtualBox on a Centos server. It is built with the Lucid 10.04 LTS _x64 Server edition with the base install. Zoneminder and FFmpeg were both added with standard repos configs: sudo aptitude install ffmpeg zoneminder
I added Camboloza and I attached the /var/cache/zoneminder to an NFS share to enable use of a 3.6tb storage drive as this will have 20+ cameras when done.
Otherwise with the modifications above and the stock install, it just runs! I hope that this helps someone else and I surely have enjoyed over the last 2 years, the help gleaned from many other parties in these forums.