General Advice Required

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jethro10

General Advice Required

Post by jethro10 »

Hi,
My first post.
I am an IT person and we have here a geovision capture card and Windows machine. I set it up with only 2 cameras several years ago and we need to upgrade. My knowledge od CCTV is somewhat limited.
My linux knowledge is moderate to advanced.
It seems as if i need to add some form of Network camera(s) as i've been reading.
(PS : I know the geovision card is unlikely to work and I will probably have to replace it.)
so my questions..

1. Forgetting capture cards for the moment, It seems as if Network cameras produce an mjpeg stream and this software can capture this and store it. Where is motion detection done to decide if to store it or not? Camera of PC?

2. It seems as if Network cameras are generally configured with a web browser, some requiring Active X controls. Can I use these type of cameras by configuring with a Windows PC and then capturing the stream with this linux software ?

3. Camera Lux settings. All our current cameras are infra red with what seems like infra red LED's round the side. Are these classed as zero lux cameras ? I've seems 0.5 lux camera, are these considered night vision camera? I'm a bit lost here. Are there good enough night vision Network cameras?

4. What can a Windows PC do with this software as a 'viewer' only. It seems you can point a web browser to this PC ? can you view / review etc.

5. Can you reduce the FPS you capture off Network cameras, the more you add, to keep server performance up ?

6. I hope thats it for now :)

Thanks in anticipation of any help

Jeff
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

hi
1, detection is done by the pc
2, Only use ip cams we have tested. If you try an unknown, good luck. Stick with axis
3, ir led cams are also known as 0 lux nut its an incorrect statement. 0.5 lux is a low light cam. If you can see then a good day/night will too. Bear in mind proper cams cost £200+ just for the cam, plus ir, plus lens, plus housing
4, using the web i/f via windows gives full control of zm
5, Yes, but limit on the cam not the server
6, good lol
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

jameswilson wrote:hi
1, detection is done by the pc
2, Only use ip cams we have tested. If you try an unknown, good luck. Stick with axis
3, ir led cams are also known as 0 lux nut its an incorrect statement. 0.5 lux is a low light cam. If you can see then a good day/night will too. Bear in mind proper cams cost £200+ just for the cam, plus ir, plus lens, plus housing
4, using the web i/f via windows gives full control of zm
5, Yes, but limit on the cam not the server
6, good lol
Thanks for that, I understand a bit more now.
1. Right, so bandwith on my network is consumed permanently 24x7. This helps me to plan for it more now.
2. No problem.
3. Ok, getting there. I dont suppose anyone can provide a link to a Nightvision Network camera for sale anywhere in the UK so I can see what these entail? It's just they seem less common than capture card based ones and i'm not sure i've found one yet.
4. I though that's how I read it. My boss will be pleased about that.
5. Again, I though that's how I read it, so most (all) Network cameras allow you to limit the transmission speed of the camera ?

I so much do enjoy fiddling, especially if someone else is paying!!
Thanks again

Jeff
MJN

Post by MJN »

jameswilson wrote:5, Yes, but limit on the cam not the server
With my setup (a Panasonic BL-C1 network cam) I grab in static JPEG mode and hence the framerate is decided by the server. Obviously the physical limits are dictated by the camera but I set the server to grab at 5fps and so that's what it grabs at (with the consequence of lower bandwidth consumption as desired).

Or by 'limit' did you mean the upper limit is ultimately dictated by the camera?

Mathew
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

jpeg is fine because as you say the server requests a max number of images. but mjpeg is a push stream so if the cam is pushing out 25, but the server only wants 5 then strange things may happen
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
MJN

Post by MJN »

I see. I used to use the mjpeg stream and did wonder what happened to the 'unused' frames... I wasn't even sure if they were being received by the server but from what you say about it being a PUSH service I guess they are...

Mathew
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

MJN wrote:
jameswilson wrote:5, Yes, but limit on the cam not the server
With my setup (a Panasonic BL-C1 network cam) I grab in static JPEG mode and hence the framerate is decided by the server. Obviously the physical limits are dictated by the camera but I set the server to grab at 5fps and so that's what it grabs at (with the consequence of lower bandwidth consumption as desired).

Or by 'limit' did you mean the upper limit is ultimately dictated by the camera?

Mathew
I just didn't want to saturate the network.

Jeff