2 network board possible ?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
breizhbug

2 network board possible ?

Post by breizhbug »

Hello,
I would like to know if ZM could manage 2 network boards in order to have security network managing cameras and acces network for consulting.

Thanks
PAscal
cordel

Post by cordel »

ZM does not manage networking therefore it not a function of ZM.
You can bind the nick cards any way you want with services that use them (ie. apache, mysql, freeradius, dns, iptables, etc...).
See Apache.org web site for how to cinfigure the web server.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
breizhbug

Post by breizhbug »

Somebody has it installed a second lan board in a zm machine ?
Is it possible to have a small install guide to make it.
Thanks
robi

Post by robi »

Well this is a typical linux question, it's not really related to ZM.
breizhbug

Post by breizhbug »

robi wrote:Well this is a typical linux question, it's not really related to ZM.
Yes, I know, but my need is related to zm using to not charge network, may be some zm user could help me.
robi

Post by robi »

ZM has nothing to do with it.
breizhbug

Post by breizhbug »

robi wrote:ZM has nothing to do with it.
another constructive suggestion ?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Most newer computers come with multiple network interfaces and Linux manages these without issue so I would expect that to be the case if you install a second card. There is no issue really in Linux. The issue is in how you design your network and what you want those interfaces to do.

My main ZM box has six network interfaces including real, bridging and virtual interfaces.
Phil
breizhbug

Post by breizhbug »

I would like to have a security network (1 board) where all cameras will be connected with one local network and another board with only access to console (office lan for example).
All network charge will be supported by local security network and no specific network charge supported by office network, except during console access.

I understand this is not managed by zm but as linux isnot as simple for me than XP, I thought maybe somebody using zm with 2 networks could develop a tuto to explain how to install and configure second lan board.
Thanks
Pascal
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

It can be quite fiddly to set up depending on whether you want to do forwarding or bridging etc and as such is outside the scope of this site. But I'm sure you should (with the help of Google) be able to find plenting of howtos or tutortials elsewhere, for instance a 5 second query got this site (http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxT ... rking.html) as the first match which should get you started.
Phil