ip cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
vaineh

ip cameras

Post by vaineh »

can someone just clarify for me what an ip camera actually is...

i originally thought it just meant a camera that plugs into the network. but im seeing stuff which looks like they already have some kind of web server on them that you can connect to. is this the case?

ive got a zoneminder server running with just a simple usb webcam (dirt cheap) that is plugged straight into the server. i want to set up more cams that are external, wired/wireless, far away from the server etc. I also dont want to spend out loads for the hardware.
pathway

Post by pathway »

Definition: An "IP Camera" is any camera that is assigned an IP for access to its' video.

You will find that 99% of IP Cameras will have a built in web server (actually, an entire linux OS hidden and embedded is not uncommon) which is used to serve up said video.

This web server is used so a viewer or server can pull the video from the camera over an http request. Most cameras support JPEG/MJPEG, some support MPEG4. Be aware that ZoneMinder can only deal with JPEG/MJPEG currently.

IP cameras are often more expensive than their non-ip analog brethren. But the advantages you get with an IP camera can be worth the extra cost: Superior images, use of existing network and limitless range to name a few.

There are a few IP cameras out there which are extremely affordable. (TrendNET's IP-TV100 and D-Links DCS-900 are both $80 on neweggg.com, and they work with ZoneMinder) Just remember that you get what you pay for... these are fixed lens, indoor only models with limited performance. If that's okay with you, go for it.

Be wary of IP cameras that require ActiveX to view. Many of the D-Links require this, and ZoneMinder cannot pickup the images from these cameras.

Lastly, if you are in need of cameras with more options (outdoor use, changable lenses, etc) there are some inexpensive vendors out there which might have what you're looking for: Gadspot, Vivotek/4XEM, TrendNET, etc.

I hope this helps.

--Pathway
pathway

Post by pathway »

Real quick update... I guess I wouldn't trust most of the TrendNET's (except the TV-IP100) as it looks like most of them are not compatible with ZM (a quick search of the ZM forums lead me to this conclusion)

--Pathway
MJN

Post by MJN »

I can certainly recommend the Panasonic range of IP cameras (I've got the BL-C1 myself) - high quality piece of kit, highly configurable and superb support behind them (manual and website).

Mathew
vaineh

Post by vaineh »

ok thanks chaps
pathway

Post by pathway »

MJN wrote:I can certainly recommend the Panasonic range of IP cameras (I've got the BL-C1 myself) - high quality piece of kit, highly configurable and superb support behind them (manual and website).

Mathew
The only problem I can see with the Panasonic BL-C1 camera is that it's not Power over Ethernet compatible, even with a PoE splitter... (The camera requires 8.5 volt DC... I did find a PoE splitter from Planet that provides 9 Volt DC... anybody know if this would work?) Otherwise, it sure does seem like ta nice camera for the price.

--Pathway
MJN

Post by MJN »

You could always 'roll your own' with a breakout plug/socket on the unused cores of the cable.

Mathew