Axis 214 PTZ not working with ZM 1.22.3

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
bweston

Axis 214 PTZ not working with ZM 1.22.3

Post by bweston »

I have an Axis 214 PTZ that I can't get to work with ZM.

All my other camera's are working (all Axis network based cameras), but I can't even get a stationary pic from my PTZ. All I get is the broken JPG icon

I've checked my logs. I haven't seen any errors or warnings since I fixed some permissions issues early this morning.

Fresh build.

Pentium D 2.6
1GB RAM
120GB HDD

FC6
ZM 1.22.3 (with patch)

Thanks
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Can you get a picture with a web browser from this camera?

What are your camera settings in ZM?

What does it say in ZM's logs when it fails?
bweston

Post by bweston »

Flash_ wrote:Can you get a picture with a web browser from this camera?
Yes
What are your camera settings in ZM?
Name: Office
Type: Remote
Func: Monitor
Enabled
Max FPS: 30

source: IP-ADDR (no http or trailing / )
Port: 80
Path: /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=640x480
Width: 640
Height: 480

The camera is set for 704x480, which I have tried in ZM. I also tried turning it and ZM down to 352x240 without success.

I've also tried the path generated for HTML embedding in each of the different modes wihtout success. The camera source still shows red, and gives the broken JPG icon.
What does it say in ZM's logs when it fails?
from /var/messages
zm zmwatch[7900]: INF [Restarting capture daemon for Office, shared memory not valid]

from httpd/error_log
[error] [client 192.168.51.73] File does not exist: /var/www/html/zm/images/Office-Zones.jpg, referer: http://192.168.51.230/zm/index.php?view=zones&mid=2

I was originally getting errors like this on all my cameras, but I corrected the directory permissions and disabled SELinux and the others started working without complaints.

If there is another log file that ZM writes to, let me know and I'll look for it. That's what I've found though.

Is there a commandline argument for ./configure I need to turn on for PTZ cameras? Though I doubt it would make a difference just for the viewing.

Thanks,
Ben
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Are the rest of your cameras set for 640x480? Does it work is you drop it down to 320x240 to test?
Phil
bweston

Post by bweston »

zoneminder wrote:Are the rest of your cameras set for 640x480? Does it work is you drop it down to 320x240 to test?
I have 1 camera at 640x480

1 at 352x240

1 at 320x240

Those all work fine.

The PTZ hasn't worked in any mode.

The HTML path that's generated by the camera is /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=CIF for the default mode, and I've tried that without success.

I've also tried all 4 MJPG modes, using both the preset path, and the generated paths, with the same results. I've also tried B&W instead of 24-bit color, no dice.
bweston

Post by bweston »

All of the other cameras are Axis as well, of various types.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Have you tried manually fetching a stream using wget?
Phil
bweston

Post by bweston »

Just tried, that seems to work fine (though I'm not sure how to view the file it generates...)
bweston

Post by bweston »

Ok, this is wierd...

I just tried the following:

IP_ADDR
port 80
/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=CIF
352x240 (in ZM)
24-bit color

Camera is currently set to B&W @ 702x480 natively.

Now it's status is showing orange, and it's giving me a picture... However it's taking up only the top 1/3 of the viewing area, and it's actually tiling it 3 times (left to right, identical image).
bweston

Post by bweston »

Very odd... But I'm now getting image in full color. I had to change the settings over one at a time until it was where it should be, but it's working.

Not that I'm complaining, but any idea why that would happen? It wasn't until I tried mis-matching the settings between ZM and the camera that it started recieving at all.

The PTZ function isn't available however, is there something I need to do to turn that on?
bweston

Post by bweston »

NM, I found it. I'm really liking this system, and so is my boss.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Hi,

What did it turn out to be in the end?
Phil
bweston

Post by bweston »

I didn't poke far enough into the options screen, I kept pouring over references for a ./configure argument. Then I stumbled on it.
tc0nn

Re: Axis 214 PTZ not working with ZM 1.22.3

Post by tc0nn »

I bought some old PTZ 214's in domes on ebay. I could never get them to connect to ZM until I upgraded the firmware on the 214's to the last release (4.49). Works great now. control works great too...