motion detection delay

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
syscon

motion detection delay

Post by syscon »

What is the acceptable motion detection delay between detecting motion and capturing first frame?

Looking at the Intellinet IP camera they have 3-4sec delay at 320x240 (they have build in motion detection)

Can anybody post some numbers for Axis 2100 and ZM. I know it depends on CPU speed and amount of memory .

#Joseph
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i wouldnt know how to go about measuring this?
I use axis net cams and with the prealarm buffering wouldnt (probably) ever see even with a delay.

James
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I'm not really sure I understand why there should be any delay. If the buffering is such that you have the last n images in memory then when you detect motion you can save not only the images from then on but also those from before. So instead of a delay you have the event starting before the motion. This is how ZM does it and how I thought most systems do it though I can't speak for Axis cameras if you are using on board motion detection rather than just using them with ZM.

Phil