What type of USB cameras to purchase?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Jansu

What type of USB cameras to purchase?

Post by Jansu »

Hello,

I am going to build a very simple (at least at first) monitoring system
on a VIA Epia platform using 2 or 3 USB webcams.

I have trouble finding the USB cams mentioned in the support section,
they are apparently a bit older models, and was wondering if anybody
could direct me as to which cameras to buy. That is, which cameras
work best with fedora core 3/4 and also, of course, with Zoneminder.
A good picture quality would also be nice =).

Thank you in beforehand,
Jani Härkki
Helsinki, Finland
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

Is there a compeling reason to use usb webcam? If your doing security IMHO your better of bith proper cameras, either capture card or IP cameras.?

James
Jansu

Post by Jansu »

Well, price is the most compelling reason. This is mostly because the need for machines like this may be 4-6 units and thus they should be as cheap as possible. Webcams cost perhaps 30-70 euros per unit and "proper" cameras are from 100 euros upwards, ip cameras being at least 200 euros per unit as far as I know.

Jani
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

ok then fair enough. But the only webcam i have is a philips one that doesnt work, not what you wanted to hear i know lol

James
Jansu

Post by Jansu »

No, I don't think that was the answer I wanted =)

Would anybody actually be able to mention even just one currently available model of webcam that he/she has personal experience of and which would work with fc3/fc4 and zoneminder? (also, information about which ones will _not_ work would help as well)

There are of course certain webcams that seem at least somewhat like some working examples mentioned in the support list, for example Creative Webcam NX Pro (which I suppose _might_ be close to Creative Webcam Pro mentioned in the list) or Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 (model 3000 is on the list) but it's impossible to know whether they've changed the sensor models on the newer camera models :/

Unless someone comes up with a model name I guess I'll just have to buy some cameras and start testing. :o

Jani
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

lol I know it wasnt the answer you wanted but do not and have not used webcams with zm

Sorry

James
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Phillips Webcams seem to work on FC4, I got one to work on FC3 too, but had to install a third-party pwc module.