talitor cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
syscon

talitor cameras

Post by syscon »

Is anybody using or has any experience with Talitor cameras?
http://www.talitor.com
According to their email few of their cameras are compatible with Linux, but I don't know in what sense; I didn't receive any extra information regarding compatibility question.

#Joseph
cordel

Post by cordel »

Most composite cameras (CCTV) will work. The compatibility would be dependant on the capture card used with them since composite cameras need a capture card to get the analog signal from them.
Regards,
Cordel
syscon

Post by syscon »

Network IP cameras easier to implement, I think. But reading through some postings if I want 5-7 cameras in the house they will be bandwidth demanding. So I would really need to dedicate fast server with lots of RAM and HD space even for 2-3fps.
All my machine have 1GB of Ram but they are only 1.2 to 1.8GHz machines, acting as a web-server + PBX Asterisk.

The way I understand is that the advantage of internal capture card have dedicated processor that takes the strain out of CPU, am I right?

It would be nice to setup camera to trigger the Asterisk to call to my cell. phone in case motion is detected. After I receive a call, I could dial my IP on my cell and check the zones.

#Joseph
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

its early days for me but i think ip cams are lighter on zm as most of the jpg compression ahs been done by the camera. Capture cards are heavier on zm as it has to capure info, convert to jpeg then do the rest.

Your 1.2 Ghz would be a bit weak but you cauld alays use 2
1.8 Ghz at med res and say 2fps would be good for 5-7 cams i would think. As long as you turn all the analysing additional features off like trace motion etc.Also 1Gb ram should be fine
I have testes 12 cams at res on 768 Meg at 2fps per cam on a celeron 2.4 Ghz with an ave load of .4

Your last bit. It would be nice but your gonna ghave to spend a lot of time configuring your detection or your soon gonna turn that cell off. ZM as it stands can do email (it can link to other programs too) and if you have access to a free smtp to sms gateway (in uk orange do this) your email could become a text. There are also providers that allow smtp to mms so you could get you image up on your cell via 'push'

James
cordel

Post by cordel »

I think you would find IP cameras in your best interest. They are easier to implement and the cost of running one extra cat5 for just a video backbone should you need it are far better than the need to run coax for each camera. You will also find that they have a better quality picture. Be carefull here though because not all IP cames will work with ZM.

Of course not all capture cards work with ZM either (linux kernel doesn't have drivers for every board). The cards you mention that have a RISC proc on board might work well but because of there cost, I don't know anyone with one and don't know that there are drivers in the linux kernel for them. The cheaper bt878 based boards work.

Now running with asterisk should not be an issue depending on your setup. If you are using a voip provider It would be prudent to have a nic card just for your internet traffic. Like I said I don't know your setup. I run asterisk here and use both FXO cards and voip providers, and have already started combining various things including ZM and * on the same machine (PIII 1.2 copermine with 1.5GB ram). I can't go into spacifics here on the forum because of security reasons, but if you would like to drop me a PM you are more than welcome too and we can go into more spacifics.
Regards,
Cordel
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I would just make the comment that in fact IP cameras are heavier on CPU usage than capture cards. This is because IP cameras server their images as jpeg and as such have to be decoded for analysis whereas capture cards can usually dish up images in more or less raw form which can be analysed pretty much as is.

Phil
syscon

Post by syscon »

zoneminder wrote:I would just make the comment that in fact IP cameras are heavier on CPU usage than capture cards. This is because IP cameras server their images as jpeg and as such have to be decoded for analysis whereas capture cards can usually dish up images in more or less raw form which can be analysed pretty much as is.

Phil
Do you have any data (numbers) how much more CPU/Memory intensive are the IP Cameras vs. Capture Card Cameras?

I think this would only effect the "motion detection" usage/capability, as the picture needs to be analyze, isn't it?
Is it possible to access the camera from the Internet if I setup Capture Card type camera?

#Joseph
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

yes as once its in zm you can do what you want.

Its early days for me ip cam wise but im styarting to prefer the way ip works (res etc) over capture cards.

I love having a hybrid recorder though aint much out there thats any good that can do both without converters

James

PS Phil is a legend
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

jameswilson wrote:PS Phil is a legend
As in I'm really old and probably don't exist :lol:

I don't have any figures for the exact difference in performance. It would be possible to write something that might be able to benchmark it but it's not been a priority thus far. The images are decoded whether you use motion detect or not currently, so timestamps etc may be added etc. However in the future I am planning to add something that will shortcut this if you just want to save the images exactly as they were captured.

Phil
syscon

Post by syscon »

The other advantage of the IP Camera over the Capture Card type is the future upgrade of the PCI-bus. Eventually that PCI bus will be replace with something be it PCI-Express or something else.
So having and IP Cam guarantee compatibility with future system upgrades vs. going with capture card not so much.

#Joseph