Dual core

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jameswilson

Dual core

Post by jameswilson »

Whats the reakoning on an athlon 64 dual core. dont have to run it in 64 bit mode (unless massive gains to be had) but i was thinking on mega zm servers (25 cams +) of using a dual proc setup, but dualcore is cheaper.

Any thoughts?

James

PS the reason im thinking this is rather than goto expanse now of a 4800+ X2 just use a 939 board and a normal athlon 64 then as chip price comes down (or i am really short on proc power) slot in a 4800
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Phil could probably answer this better, but I would say that since Zm seems to launch a seperate process for each input, a dual core or dual processor system should definitely be able to handle more inputs than a non-SMP server.

At some point though, the database or more specifically, the disk I/O throughput will become the bottleneck. I doubt IDE or SATA drives could keep up with 25 inputs recording at once.

I've read on the forums here of people running 16 input servers on lesser equipment, so you might not even need an expensive SMP setup.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

the disk bandwith issue is less of a problem than i thought due to a couple of factors
You usually would want a fair bit of storage if you had this many cameras and i have been experimenting with raid 0. Obviously the bottleneck isnt the interface (SATA 1 can do 150MB/sec) but the disk. Usually most disks can easily write 10 meg a second but not much more reliably. (the burst write rate is a measure of the cache speed and is no good to us). If you use say 4 x 500 gig drives and raid 0, you could pass upto 40 meg a second into the array. Maybe PCI bandwidth maybe a problem first.
My reason for enquiring about dual core etc is due to remote users. When a remote user selects montage it places a fiar load on the processor alone. I have looked at the possibilty of a capture server and a seperate streaming server, but was wondering if dualcore was a better solution. I have a system to install with 16 convenetional (coax) and 5 ip cams over the next couple of weeks and am sticking a zm in on top of this install to see how it gets on. I have told the customer i am using them as guinea pigs but as they are getting something for nowt them seem quite happy.
Im just hoping the sata ports are detected.
BTW i am coming away from AMD for ZM stuff as intell seems to be better load for load. I am a big AMD fan and all MS servers and clients at work i look after are AMD based, but i think for video use Intel has the edge. Not 100% sure on this just a hunch at the mo. My athlon 2800+ at home is outperfromed by a 2.2 Ghz Celeron.

James
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Theres no way a Celeron would outpeform your Athlon. I suspect something else is the cause of the performance difference :-o
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

oh damn. I was wondering if it was the fact that my athlon is really about 2gig and the celeron is a new cel D

James