camera/wireless solution recommendation

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
bodorange

camera/wireless solution recommendation

Post by bodorange »

I've just managed to get ZM up and running and very impressed. Thank you Phil!
ATM I am using a crappy video-over-wireless cmos camera I got on ebay. I'd now like to use this for an indoor scene and then use an axis network camera for the outdoor view. I intend to use the new cam indoors, pointing outside to an area that is subject to simultaneous bright light and dark shadow. I'm undecided between the 206W and a 2100. Is there much difference in the performance of the 206W's CMOS versus 2100's CCD in this respect?
Also, what if I want to go wireless with a 2100? I currently have a WAP set in AP mode. What is the appropriate type wireless device to hook up to the 2100? Do I just get a cheap AP and run it in bridge mode?

Many thanks for any advice.

Dean
asko

Re: camera/wireless solution recommendation

Post by asko »

bodorange wrote:I've just managed to get ZM up and running and very impressed. Thank you Phil!
ATM I am using a crappy video-over-wireless cmos camera I got on ebay. I'd now like to use this for an indoor scene and then use an axis network camera for the outdoor view. I intend to use the new cam indoors, pointing outside to an area that is subject to simultaneous bright light and dark shadow. I'm undecided between the 206W and a 2100. Is there much difference in the performance of the 206W's CMOS versus 2100's CCD in this respect?
Also, what if I want to go wireless with a 2100? I currently have a WAP set in AP mode. What is the appropriate type wireless device to hook up to the 2100? Do I just get a cheap AP and run it in bridge mode?

Many thanks for any advice.

Dean
Hi,

I tried out 206W and 210 and 206W didn't perform very well in dark conditions. 210 was noticeably better! I think 2100 is too.

But when there is enough light, 206W shows a quite good picture too. Btw, using a wifi cam gives quite a lot of bandwidth, I managed to blow up one D-Link AP and another Linksys AP keeped hanging regularly ;-)
bodorange

Re: camera/wireless solution recommendation

Post by bodorange »

asko wrote: Hi,

I tried out 206W and 210 and 206W didn't perform very well in dark conditions. 210 was noticeably better! I think 2100 is too.

But when there is enough light, 206W shows a quite good picture too. Btw, using a wifi cam gives quite a lot of bandwidth, I managed to blow up one D-Link AP and another Linksys AP keeped hanging regularly ;-)
cheers asko,
I think I'll go for a ccd based cam then. The 210 is a little pricey for me so it looks like the 2100. I have already have a DWL-900AP+ WAP and will link the cam to the wireless network using one of the cheaper extenders (DWL-800AP+). There are quite a few on ebay right now. Hopefully nothing will blow on me ;-)
Thanks for the help.
bodorange

Post by bodorange »

For anyone who might be interested. Having just bought one of these, a DWL-800AP+, it doesn't work as a wireless client as I'd hoped. For this you need a DWL-810+ which is more expensive. However, it's possible to load an edited version of the DWL-810+ firmware onto the DWL-800AP+. I've just tried it and now working as a wireless client. Now all I need is an axis cam ;-)

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cg ... ue=dwl-800
samwyse

Post by samwyse »

What is the "crappy video-over-wireless cmos camera" you got from eBay? I'm looking to buy something this week for my first home security application, and I'm looking at the Linksys Wireless-B Internet Video Camera 802.11b and the VCenter NC1000W. Whatever I get needs to be able to function at night, although I can set up some illumination of the scene.