Axis network camera or capture card

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
forhire

Axis network camera or capture card

Post by forhire »

I've been playing with ZM and my old Axis 200+ webcam. It works but the camera can only reliably capture about 1 image a second (or two) and I would like something faster.

Originally I was going to purchase a capture card like the LMLBT44 or LMLBT4M (which is more affordable), but today I was checking the Axis website and saw the new 206M which looks fasts, very high res and the price is resonable (note: I paid over a grand for my 200+ w/an added $100 bucks for the auto-iris lense many years ago so resonable is a perspective).

Bottom line, I'm happy with Axis and the package is quick and clean but will it perform as well as a capture card? Do the IP cameras scale as well as the capture cards appear to?

LMLBT44 vs LMLBT4M which is 4 chips vs 1... what is the reality for use with VM and four cameras... how many cameras and what fps can be maintained on the muliplexed version. I searched but only found statements like "4 chips are better than 1", that's a given, but can the lesser card work well in a small system or should one pony the cash for the better card and be done with it?

Thanks in advance,

Randy