questions about cameras and local access only

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
nobitabre82

questions about cameras and local access only

Post by nobitabre82 »

I have been running a closed circuit system but it has aged to the point where it needs to be replaced. I did some reading on ZoneMindser and set it up to run on my server in its own VM.

What I would like to know is which cameras people are using that do not connect to anything other than the local server. I do not want any images, pictures or data leaving my network. I have looked at some of the inexpensive cameras like the wyze v3 but it keep saying "rolling cloud storage" and "app required" so I am unsure if I can just use them as an IP camera only.

thanks for any assistance.
dougmccrary

Re: questions about cameras and local access only

Post by dougmccrary »

Look for onvif and/or RTSP and/or p2p support. You'll have to dig deep to find that out with most if them.
Some will call home if you let them, but you don't have to let them...
parky

Post by parky »

S3VC cameras work for me alongside a HiLok

Put them all on an ex corporate POE switch that supports VLANs to segregate your traffic and get a decent router with a firewall to give an extra level of confidence it won't 'phone home'
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

At the end of the day you need to lock down your network so that cameras CANNOT send anything out.

I don't trust any vendor. That's the point of security by design, don't trust anyone, including yourself.