witch one of these servers I should set for ZM

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
leopard

witch one of these servers I should set for ZM

Post by leopard »

Hey, I have some old servers and not sure witch one I should use

load is 4 cameras and I might want to add some more next year
Tested with atom d520, but it did barely handle just one camera with 10fps... 3 fps was fine (I want motion detection) :/

I have *old* dell r610 that has 2x xeon E5620 4c8t and 72GB memory, it takes about 200W power
also I have dell r710 e5620 with 32GB memory
that single core dell takes way less power, but should it be enought for 8 cameras so I dont had to reinstall next year?

(yes, i know if I buy reolink record box for 240€, it will pay price back in one and half year because its use only 10W, but I need to do some learning with ESXi and virtualization)

Edit: reason I ask and dont just try is that both of them need some parts, not too expencive, but takes long to order. And dont want to fix both of them if not needed :D
parky

Re: witch one of these servers I should set for ZM

Post by parky »

I run an HP Z400 with a single X5650 and 12GB ram recording continuously 8 cameras at 720P. The load is about 2-3 which also allows it to run KVM with a version of 1.37.1 to give a view of the future

All the cameras run at 6fps and are now moved to Mocord without any load issues, so your Dell R710 should be just fine