Best and cheapest option to run zoneminder

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
topcat

Best and cheapest option to run zoneminder

Post by topcat »

Hello,

Im looking for a good and cheap option to run zoneminder smootly with 4 - 8 cameras.

Can i use a raspberry pi 4 or banana pi for this? or maybe older models? Or other hardware is better?

I want to order 5mp cameras for a good resolution and record quality.
peaples already recording 4k quality?

Thanks
burger

Re: Best and cheapest option to run zoneminder

Post by burger »

Going to depend upon FPS, Resolution, etc... Generally you want x86-64 for high CPU processing. ARM is limited in that respect.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
sfritz

Re: Best and cheapest option to run zoneminder

Post by sfritz »

For 4 - 8 5 MP cameras you will need multiple Raspberry Pi 4 8 GB models, likely 3 - 4 cameras per Pi, depending on frame and bit rates.

My original setup is here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29853

However, the SD Card was a bottleneck, so I updated the Raspberry Pi 4 firmware and set it to boot from USB with Ubuntu 20.04 installed to a USB 3.0 thumb drive and recording to a USB 3.0 hard disk. Your will need a multiserver Zoneminder setup, which is not hard to do.