samsung sdh install

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jmcgovern

samsung sdh install

Post by jmcgovern »

Hi all,
I have a samsung sdh-b74041 dvr. I hate the software/os installed on it and I would like to have zoneminder run on it if possible.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to get to the bios and boot a linux install image on it so I can then install zoneminder?

TIA,
James
snake

Re: samsung sdh install

Post by snake »

You have misconceptions about how Zoneminder is used. The bad news is, that you can't just run Zoneminder on the DVR instead of the GNU\Linux that samsung is probably running on it. It would require a significant porting effort, and DVRs are abandonware. The good news is, that you can run a second (or third, if you want) computer that pulls the streams off of the network connected DVR, and that computer can be Zoneminder.

I checked the user manual for your DVR and it includes the stream paths, so you are in good shape to use it for Zoneminder. Get the DVR on a network, install Zoneminder (install guides you should use are here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian and https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu beginners are advised to use Debian or Ubuntu) on a computer, and configure Zoneminder to record the network streams (RTSP) off the DVR. The user manual for your DVR covers the paths in page 31, and it looks like they are something like rtsp://<username>:<password>@<ipaddress>:<port>/ch01/0 for the first camera's main stream.

Consider yourself lucky that the RTSP streams are available. Some DVRs are black boxes, and not easy to get streams off of.
jmcgovern

Post by jmcgovern »

Ok, thx snake.
I am familiar with those paths; I use them with VLC.
I will give it a shot...
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

I would love to spend some time hacking one of the dvrs and making it easy to put ZoneMinder on them. However no one wants to pay for it.