Sports recording setup (3 cameras)

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
buchtick

Sports recording setup (3 cameras)

Post by buchtick »

Hi guys,

I have rather unusual topic.

We want to set up a system for coaches in our sports club (floorball - indoor sport) which would allow them to record the training sessions from multiple (3) cameras. We want to have a fixed solution as GoPro's and other handheld cameras are dependent on people returning them after the use (which just does not happen regularly).

As our sports hall is not the smallest one and the distances from cameras to the recording PC will be around 50-80 meters I'm considering using IP cams with PoE. I did a quick research and found out that lot of these can provide H.264/265 streams. The only trigger to start recording would be the coach's request, the output should be 3 separate files in a folder. That means no image analysis should be done in the system. On the other hand the obvious requirement is that the recordings have to be at least 25fps.

I'd like to ask whether it is feasible to use ZoneMinder for this and allow the coaches to control (trigger) the recording via web app. And if yes, what are the HW considerations and possibly your recommendations. I've attached (very :-) ) simple schematic of the system.

snake

Re: Sports recording setup (3 cameras)

Post by snake »

buchtick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm As our sports hall is not the smallest one and the distances from cameras to the recording PC will be around 50-80 meters I'm considering using IP cams with PoE.
Make sure to get the correct zoom for the 50-80 meters distance. Either Variable zoom, 2.8mm or 4mm would be a place to start.
buchtick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm The only trigger to start recording would be the coach's request,
Means you would probably use a mobile phone to activate the recording. You could have a runstate for recording, and a runstate that simply monitors. Changing the runstate as needed.
buchtick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm the output should be 3 separate files in a folder. That means no image analysis should be done in the system.
You might want to use 1.32+ for video files (or export the video files afterwards from 1.30.4), and you will want to set the record time to be longer than the default of 600 seconds (you can set the record time to be an hour or two hours, from the ZM Configuration for each camera - Misc - Section Length). 3 separate video files in a folder might be something you'd script.
buchtick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pmOn the other hand the obvious requirement is that the recordings have to be at least 25fps.
Possible, but verify your camera works before investing in a lot of them. Some cameras have lower FPS than others. See the HCL in the wiki.

What you are asking is possible, but it may be difficult unless you are familiar with ZM. If you need assistance setting it up, post here and we can advise you on any specific questions.
buchtick

Post by buchtick »

Hi snake,

thanks a lot for your answer!
snake wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:56 pm Make sure to get the correct zoom for the 50-80 meters distance. Either Variable zoom, 2.8mm or 4mm would be a place to start.
Perhaps my initial explanation was a bit confusing here - by 50-80m distance I thought the distance from the cams to the central point (router/PC). The viewing distance is 40m at most as the field has the same dimensions as for handball.

After reading your answer I think it really may be possible to implement the system as I thought. I'll let you know once there are any news.
snake

Post by snake »

buchtick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:34 pm Perhaps my initial explanation was a bit confusing here - by 50-80m distance I thought the distance from the cams to the central point (router/PC).
That distance is only limited by whichever POE spec your equipment is rated for. I would recommend you use the real POE - the 802.3af - not the passive 12V POE, to make cabling simpler. Passive 12V POE is cheaper and has uses, but 50-80m might be too much. I don't think you will have any problem with 80m using 802.3af.
BaseballSS

Post by BaseballSS »

What would be your plan for serving the videos to users?