IP Cameras: Ethernet vs WiFi

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
kennbr34

IP Cameras: Ethernet vs WiFi

Post by kennbr34 »

So I have 3 exterior cameras, and 1 interior camera. The exterior cameras monitor my front, back and side. I live in an apartment so I only need to monitor 3 exit/entrances from the outside. My kitchen is a central location in the apartment, meaning all rooms lead here, so I have an interior monitor set to view the kitchen.

The problem is the resolution is just terrible. Can't recognize faces, and so I want to upgrade them to at least be able to see a person's face. I don't need something fancy enough to read a license plate across the drive-way, but maybe something good enough to be able to tell "Hey, that guy has a mustache," or maybe catch a clothing logo. Just enough clarity to give a clear description to a patrol.

What I want to do is upgrade to IP Cameras. 720p is adequate resolution. Recently I bought a very cheap $30 WiFi IP Cam from Besder, and while it works okay as a camera, I'm having trouble with the WiFi. I'm still waiting for them to ship me another antenna to see if that was the problem, but basically it has no signal strength even 15 ft from the router. I'm running it via ethernet now, but I really want to use the WiFi functionality of these because I already have 12 VDC lines wired to the locations where I'll install the cameras. All I'll need to do is replace the camera and set it up in ZoneMinder.

I really can't afford much more expensive cameras than that, and so I wonder if I should just instead opt to use their ethernet functionality? I don't want to have to lay more cable around, but I'm not sure if it's a trend for these to have poor wifi connecitivity at this pricepoint.
marrysgige

Re: IP Cameras: Ethernet vs WiFi

Post by marrysgige »

I cannot say anything like whether it is a trend for these cameras to have poor wifi connectivity but opting for ethernet functionality will definitely resolve your issue as ethernet cable connection offer the reliable and dependable connection with high speed as compared to the wifi connection.
¬ Always Keep Smiling ¬ :)
stuffedmonkey

Re: IP Cameras: Ethernet vs WiFi

Post by stuffedmonkey »

Im a bit curious about these cameras. Found the BS-IPC-6024PB-I7510 really cheap on aliexpress. Aside from the less than great WIFI, is it easy to add these cameras to zoneminder?