Upgrade of 2 independent analog camera groups

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ccusack

Upgrade of 2 independent analog camera groups

Post by ccusack »

I have an old commercial install with 14 analog cameras on one end of a site and 8 analog cameras 100m away (22 cameras total). Both sets of analog cameras feed to a recorder/playback.

I need to modernise the system, combine the 2 independent systems, have the ability to add more digital cameras and get multi-user web access for monitoring.

I was considering running each group of cameras into an a/d converter and then CAT6 to a box running zoneminder. Future IP cameras could just be added to the network. I looked at using a synology NAS surveillance station but the licences for 22+ cameras is high.

My surveillance experience is limited so I would appreciate some feedback on;

- is this a sensible approach or is there a better one?
- Would this need a dedicated gigabit network or could it be run as a VLAN on the existing factory network?
- Can anyone recommend what soft of hardware requirement (cpu/memory/storage) I would need to run Zoneminder on linux with approx 1 week storage.
- Is there a recommended a/d converter easily purchased in Australia for 8 and 16 channel - not using audio?

Thanks - Chris
snake

Re: Upgrade of 2 independent analog camera groups

Post by snake »

ccusack wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:02 am - is this a sensible approach or is there a better one?
- Would this need a dedicated gigabit network or could it be run as a VLAN on the existing factory network?
- Can anyone recommend what soft of hardware requirement (cpu/memory/storage) I would need to run Zoneminder on linux with approx 1 week storage.
- Is there a recommended a/d converter easily purchased in Australia for 8 and 16 channel - not using audio?
1. Certainly. The Ideal solution is to rip out all the analog coax and replace with ethernet / ip cameras, but not practical in the real world.
2. 20 or 30 cameras at SD resolution doesn't need Gigabit in my experience.
3. I've recommended a server in my dummies guide, the KGPE-D16. Any model of similar spec or better should suffice. You don't need a lot of RAM. HDD, get a couple of Terabytes.
4. See the hardware compatibility list. The term for the A/D video converter you are looking for is Video Encoder or Video Server. There are many new and used options available. Link: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Hardware_Co ... eo_Encoder