Can't get Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I setup

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
GivingItMyBest

Can't get Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I setup

Post by GivingItMyBest »

Hello,

I'm trying to install my first camera, a Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I. I'm running 1.30.4 on Ubuntu 16.04 on a dual xeon server with 24gb of ram.

I have read the Wiki on HikVision, and done every google search I can think of. If I select ffmpeg, and put the RTSP://user:pass@ip:port/Streaming/Channels/1, or the numerous variants of that, I get a blue screen with a timestamp; however, I put bogus credentials in and get the same thing. The message I get is that it couldn't connect due to in in progress activity, or something similar.

If I do remote (and try every form of RTSP in the dropdown) I get varying messages from "reset by peer" to the more common "No RTSP sources".

I keep seeing references to using OnVIF; however, Hikvision disabled OnVif in the latest firmware, which I have. I tried doing ffprobe RTSP.xxx and got a 401 error.

I am somewhat at my wits end, having spent 2 days trying every configuration I could think of. I've tried different max FPS (I know to set it a little higher than the camera), I've tried different resolutions, I've tried creating a second account for the camera and using that as my login. In one case, the first error reason I get is that it failed because of "success", then goes on to fail more.

If anyone could give me advice on what I may need to look at, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not new to Linux, though I am new to running a Linux server.

Thank you all in advance!!!
snake

Re: Can't get Hikvision DS-2CD2385FWD-I setup

Post by snake »

GivingItMyBest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am I've tried different max FPS (I know to set it a little higher than the camera),
You should not be setting max FPS anywhere on ZM for remote or FFMPEG. Max FPS is only used for local cameras.
GivingItMyBest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:53 am I keep seeing references to using OnVIF; however, Hikvision disabled OnVif in the latest firmware, which I have.
What firmware # do you have? What hardware revision #?
GivingItMyBest

Post by GivingItMyBest »

snake wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm You should not be setting max FPS anywhere on ZM for remote or FFMPEG. Max FPS is only used for local cameras.
I'll try leaving it blank. In the Hikvision Wiki it says to set it slightly higher than the camera, and from reading it is apparently to keep CPU usage in check if the camera drops off?
snake wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:49 pm What firmware # do you have? What hardware revision #?
Firmware is 5.5.3, not sure where to get the hardware version from.
snake

Post by snake »

GivingItMyBest wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am I'll try leaving it blank. In the Hikvision Wiki it says to set it slightly higher than the camera, and from reading it is apparently to keep CPU usage in check if the camera drops off?
Max FPS can be set on the Hikvision camera web server, but you should not set it on ZM.
GivingItMyBest wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:30 am Firmware is 5.5.3, not sure where to get the hardware version from.
Sometimes the hardware revision # is in the camera web server. It might also be on the camera itself, or the PCB, but that would require camera disassembly. If you can't find it, then forget about it.

I made a page here that gives some other steps you can try. In your situation, I'd try wireshark, if nothing online is available.
Finding Camera Stream Paths
GivingItMyBest

Post by GivingItMyBest »

<Edit>
So far I am not having luck with Wireshark. I tried filtering by RTSP when I go to the camera page and get nothing. I ran it during VLC when trying to connect, and it showed me getting "401 not authorized" errors. I am going to try it in Windows now (was in Linux) using IE, since apparently IE is the only browser that still works with the required Hikvision plugin.
</Edit>

Thanks, I will have to read up on how to use Wireshark. I know of it and what it does, but not actually how to use it.

On a possibly related note, I tried access the camera via VLC using the rtsp://user:pass@ip:port/Streaming/Channels/1

VLC just kept prompting me for username and password. Then when I tried to log-in to the camera, it indicated it was locked. This tells me that it was trying to login at least, but failing for some reason. I could be wrong, but that seems to indicate that might be the right path? I tried two different admin level accounts to login, so I know I wasn't entering the credentials in the string wrong.
GivingItMyBest

Post by GivingItMyBest »

I finally figured out the problem: I am an idiot.

I could not figure out why I was getting a 401 error when trying to stream from VLC, but was able to log-in to the camera with the same password (copy-pasted from password manager, so no chance of typo). I finally pasted the password into the camera login, and then viewed it in plain-text... The site was truncating it. Sure enough, when I generated a password, I accidentally generated a 17 digit password. Hikvision's interface does not give an error when you generate one too long, it just truncates it. However, when you try to use the password in anything else, it sends the whole thing... and then doesn't work.

For anyone who stumbles across this, the correct path is the rtsp://user:password@ip:port/Streams/Channel/1, but make sure your password is between 8 and 16 characters, and does not contain any special characters, as ZM kicks those out for some reason.

Thank you Snake for all your help, sorry to have wasted your time, but I am glad I finally played around with Wireshark.
snake

Post by snake »

I've seen cameras and DVRs with limited password lengths, no surprise. It would be good if you could add this information to the hardware compatibility list in the wiki.