ip camera setup

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
cTurtle98

ip camera setup

Post by cTurtle98 »

I bought one of these but I cant figure out how to configure the camera so that I can use it with zoneminder.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/382125508373

this is my first time using ip cameras so I dont really know exactly how to use them and the ebay seller is no help
Baylink

Re: ip camera setup

Post by Baylink »

It says POE, so 100% odds that's an Ethernet connector; when you plug it in to your network, it should pull a DHCP IP address.

ZM does OnVIF probing of your local LAN these days, so you should be able to Create New Monitor, and click the OnVIF link at the top of the dialog box/window. You'll get a pulldown menu with, likely, just your one camera, and you can set it up.

It is *strongly* recommended, though, that before you actually create the monitor, you log into the camera's UI, and assign it a static IP, and a username/password that are non-default.

Close and reopen the monitor-add window afterwards, and continue setup from there, picking the camera on the IP you assigned.

Note that some routers default to using the entire Class C Network as DHCP space; that can cause collisions, and you should change it to be, say, 50 addresses instead of all 253...
cTurtle98

Post by cTurtle98 »

i got it working

my problem was that the camera assigns itself a static ip of 192.168.1.10 but ive set my router to use 10.0.8.x addresses so my computer couldn't find it

so I setup an old shitty router to the 192 ip set and then got my laptop on that router and went into the camera config and chnaged the address to work with my system then i restarted the camera and plugged it back into my normal network and finished setting it up

Thanks for your help though
Baylink

Post by Baylink »

For future reference, you might want to know that in the adapter setup advanced in Windows you can assign a static alternative "alias" address to your ethernet interface on your laptop, long enough to get to cameras like that and change their IP.

Glad you got it working. Yell if you need any other help.