D-Link or Edimax [SOLVED]

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
gour

D-Link or Edimax [SOLVED]

Post by gour »

Hello,

I'm looking for a camera to be used indoors to monitor elder person or small kid in a room, both during the day and night with the possibility to detect motion, as well as sound when triggering sound alerts.

I've looked what is available to buy here in Croatia and after some research ended up with few choices:
  • D-Link DCS-942L
  • D-Link DCS 5020L
  • Edinkom IC-3140W
After looking at the specs, I've concluded that only DCS-942L seems to be ONVIF-compliant, although other two models are alsomentioned in the wiki.

My question is whether it is safe to trust wiki entries that all models are supposed to work on my desktop machine (running Fedora 26) although I got some info in #zoneminder that there might be some issues with sound alerts and/or Firefox browser?

D-Link models are similarly priced having similar set of features (I'm not sure about 942L's sound-detection capabilities), while Edimax is a bit more expensive, but provides higher 720p HD video resolution.

So, my question is which model would be recommendation from experienced ZoneMinder users for the most pleasant experience on my Linux desktop (let me add that one concern is also that I have access to neither Mac OS machine, nor to any Windows machine, even under VM, so depending solely on Linux desktop and/or Android phone)?

Update: After more research I've found out there are more newer D-Link cameras available to shop here which offer same resolution as Edimax model, so I'm curious what is the chance of having some newer D-Link DCS model to work with ZoneMinder if the spec says: ONVIF compliant or should I ask for specific models if they are not in the wiki list?
Last edited by gour on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gour

Re: D-Link or Edimax[SOLVED]

Post by gour »

Well, in the meantime I did offer Foscam C1 camera hoping it will work with the latest ZoneMinder. :roll: