Additional hardware - sportlights, alarms etc

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Lauritsen

Additional hardware - sportlights, alarms etc

Post by Lauritsen »

After a few break ins in the area I'm considering securing my house more than it is today.

However, while cameras are nice I think it's equally (if not more) important to have some powerful spotlights and alarms in order to keep uninvited visitors away. Does zoneminder have support for these types of peripheral devices ?

In the optimal case I could set up a night vision camera or two, and when they detect any kind of motion I would like to turn on some spotlights, maybe start an audible alarm.

If there is support - can you recommend some good spots?
Baylink

Re: Additional hardware - sportlights, alarms etc

Post by Baylink »

My snap reaction is to just install traditional motion-detection floodlights; them switching on will trigger motion detection in ZM, even if your cameras do IR.

Whether triggering an audible is a good idea or not depends on the results of that -- such lights aren't very particular.