Help: Connecing IP cameras directly to computer vis ethernet

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
empty01

Help: Connecing IP cameras directly to computer vis ethernet

Post by empty01 »

HI
I have setup a unbuntu box running vers. 16.04 and installed Zoneminder 1.30. I have managed to connect the following cameras:

* An old Y-cam (Resolution: 640x480) via wifi using rstp (awful colour on this camera, but it looks professional so decent deterrent).
* A Vista VK2-1080VFDIR37e (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) by ethernet cable to the BTHomeHub4 router (lovely image quality, but no wifi).
* Two DBPower 301c (Resolution: 1280 X 720) via wifi using rstp (cheap cameras but so far 3 have stopped working and been returned to seller, left with 2, which I suspect will also clap out soon).

This is really a testing phase - I want to grow the system to around 10 cameras - 4 indoors and 6 outdoors.

Apart from the usual connection problems (blue screens requiring computer restart etc, me not installing properly, etc), I love Zoneminder! I love the logical way it is set up, the fact it is linux and open source, the beautifully organised documentation, etc.

My main issue if that the wifi cameras often pixilate / give blocky images / go partial or total green screen, and have all sorts of irregular delays. I guess this is in part because I live in a reasonably sized house and the wifi signal struggles in places, and also because wifi cameras are inherently prone to interference etc. But it plays havoc with the alarms on Zoneminder.

So, since I plan to place all my outdoor cameras on the walls just under the eaves of the roof, and I plan to put my unbuntu/zoneminder computer in the attic, I am considering just buying non-wifi IP cameras and wiring them via Cat5e ethernet cable.

My question is: Can I connect these IP cameras directly to the my unbuntu/zoneminder computer using ethernet cable? The BTHomeHub4 router is downstairs and it would be a major job to feed ethernet cable from the attic down to the router.

I assume I would have to buy some multi-port ethernet switch box, which i'm happy to do.

Apologies for the perhaps over-detailed post, but any help greatly appreciated.

All best

Mark
marcopete87

Re: Help: Connecing IP cameras directly to computer vis ethernet

Post by marcopete87 »

empty01 wrote:HI
I have setup a unbuntu box running vers. 16.04 and installed Zoneminder 1.30. I have managed to connect the following cameras:

This is really a testing phase - I want to grow the system to around 10 cameras - 4 indoors and 6 outdoors.
Apart from the usual connection problems (blue screens requiring computer restart etc, me not installing properly, etc)

My main issue if that the wifi cameras often pixilate / give blocky images / go partial or total green screen, and have all sorts of irregular delays. I guess this is in part because I live in a reasonably sized house and the wifi signal struggles in places, and also because wifi cameras are inherently prone to interference etc. But it plays havoc with the alarms on Zoneminder.

wiring them via Cat5e ethernet cable.

My question is: Can I connect these IP cameras directly to the my unbuntu/zoneminder computer using ethernet cable? The BTHomeHub4 router is downstairs and it would be a major job to feed ethernet cable from the attic down to the router.

I assume I would have to buy some multi-port ethernet switch box, which i'm happy to do.

Apologies for the perhaps over-detailed post, but any help greatly appreciated.
blue screens on ubuntu requiring computer restart?

what is your actual server configuration?
All of your wifi cam pixelate?

i had some issues with my cams, everything solved increasing shm size and buffer size.
before wiring everything (good idea with poe switch), did you tried increasing ram, buffers, shm and decreasing camera fps? (not zoneminder max fps & co.)
SlowScan

Post by SlowScan »

Just wondering if you have checked your attic temperatures. It depends where you live of course, but in my experience attic temperatures can exceed 140 F in North America, for example. Even well insulated attics with radiant barrier sheathing can easily hit 120F in the summer. Higher in the South or Southwest.

Most consumer grade electronics aren't rated for those kind of temperatures, although you can sometimes get away with installing them up there anyway. I have, but it was a situation in which I did not have any alternative.

Just food for thought in case you haven't considered the temperature angle.
patmansf

Post by patmansf »

empty01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Yes: there's no difference for the configuration between using Wifi or ethernet as far as linux or zoneminder are concerned.

You should also consider getting a POE (Power Over Ethernet) switch, and cameras with POE so that you don't have to route power to them too.

-- Patrick