Setting up disks

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Pete1

Setting up disks

Post by Pete1 »

I am thinking of setting up CCTV and would intend to use Zoneminder. I also want to setup a back server (solely to backup files from my main server and laptops). Given that the load on the backup server would be low (probably timed overnight backups from my main file server and occasional backups from laptops) I want to make one multi-purpose machine to cover both of these.

I am aware that special video harddisks can be purchased designed for storing images, so presume that one of these would be best for Zoneminder image storage.

My idea is:
Main disk - any old drive that I can find to install Centos and Zoneminder on.
Video disk - mounted to the Zoneminder image drive. This would be the special video harddisk.
Backup disks - RAID system for backup storage of files (not related to Zoneminder).

Does that make sense and is it only the image storage disk that needs to be video storage specification and not the one that the main OS is running?
iconnor

Re: Setting up disks

Post by iconnor »

Yeah that sounds fine.

Please note that I'm not actually sure that the Purple video disks are really any better than any other disk. I think their firmware is just tweaked a bit for bigger write buffers or something. But regular disks work just fine for me.

I like to use SSD's for /, no raid, multiple disks for video and raid 5 for backup archives.