Looking for a recommendation

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
frenchy128

Looking for a recommendation

Post by frenchy128 »

I'm looking for some recommendations for a future zoneminder setup. I work for a small school board in Northern Ontario, and one of our schools currently has two video surveillance systems to support 38 analog/bnc cameras. We recently had a failure on one of our units, an issue with the OS drive, and while I was able to get the server back up and running, but I would like to consider a Zoneminder replacement for the school.

I attempted to setup a Zoneminder setup using a Comart XECAP200B 16CH DVR PCI card, but I struggled to get the Linux drivers to detect the card. I had to go back and see what I could do about restoring the old system as it was as it was taking me too much time to get zoneminder setup.

The reason why I'm posting here today is I'd like to get suggestions on linux compatible capture cards. I have checked the compatibility charts, and I find the "analog" section quite lacking, and does not mention specific chipsets that would be recommended, or a specific brand.

I'm hoping to build a Zoneminder machine that can support the 38 cameras that are currently in place, and offer an upgrade path to ip cameras in the future. I know that I'll have to purchase multiple cards, but I would like to ensure that they work with current versions of linux (Ubuntu specifically). Can anyone suggest a 32ch Capture Card that they have used with there Zoneminder setups?
Thanks
JF
keglevich

Re: Looking for a recommendation

Post by keglevich »

Hi,

I'm looking also for a recommendation for Capture Card PCI for at least 8 ch which works with ZoneMinder. Did you find a proper card?

Regards,

Paulo Keglevich