Absolute simplest possible way to monitor IP cam.

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
VIC-20

Absolute simplest possible way to monitor IP cam.

Post by VIC-20 »

I want only to make my IP cam display on my TV in this way:

IP cam --> ethernet cable --> BLACK BOX --> HDMI cable --> generic 1920 x 1080 television

I already have the IP cam, the TV, and the two cables. So I need something with an ethernet port as input, which can then produce an output on an HDMI port. I have no other requirements of this "black box"(eg recording,detection, networking etc), other than being CHEAP! :+D

deepest thanks
akg1508

Re: Absolute simplest possible way to monitor IP cam.

Post by akg1508 »

Raspberry Pi?

It will likely take a bit of configuration, but should do the job.
VIC-20

Post by VIC-20 »

Thanks, akg1508, I was afraid you would say that! I have the RPi2, and had been trying to install Zoneminder just before posting this question. I tried the method from the read the docs page (http://zoneminder.readthedocs.org/en/la ... ebian.html), and as usual, had trouble and a failed install. More searching brought me to https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Debian_8_64 ... e_Easy_Way, which REALLY blew me out of the water! I MIGHT have stood a chance with the first instructions, but these made me rethink things and change my strategy, and hence, make this post.

Unless someone can point me towards a (not too expensive)device that easily installs Zoneminder, I think an off the shelf piece of hardware is my best bet (eg I've seen some real cheap mini NVR's) I just need to be sure that it's up to the task. Oh yeah, that reminds me, I forgot to mention that my IP cam needs to run at 1920 X 1080i on the TV, at 20-22 fps min. (preferably at full-frame), and a streaming bandwidth of at least 6144 Mbps (high quality/performance is one of my constraints). If I only needed to monitor this one IP cam, would an old PC retro-fit with LINUX, Zoneminder be up the task? What kind of processor speed & memory would I need to just display the one IP cam?

Thanks greatly to anyone who might be able to help!
akg1508

Post by akg1508 »

I didn't realise that you wanted to run a full ZM stack on the machine.

If you are just looking to be able to view the current image on the camera, why not just configure the Pi to automatically start with omxplayer, mpv or similar pointing to the camera.

If you want to record, replay, etc., then probably an x86 box with ZM is the way to go. Others will have better knowledge than me, but for a single camera, probably anything with dual core and 1 or 2 Gb RAM will be sufficient to display at a reduced frame rate (10 - 15 fps). I don't have enough experience to comment on what is required for frame rates over 20fps, sorry.
river100

Post by river100 »

i use android mini PCs for this, $45.00 to $150.00 each.
II use an HDMI to DVI video cable from the Android to monitor.

I have a factory the has 3 ZM servers spread around.
There are 2 people who wanted a monitor with all 26 cams showing.
The camera resolutions vary from 320 to 1080, and while watching all at once they
are all the same size.
Each monitor have an android mini PC / TV box running IP Cam Viewer Pro on it
with a mouse to get full screen on any one of the cams. It'll do PTZ on most cams too.
There are a few ways you can do this. You can pull the stream from the camera primary
or secondary stream, or straight from ZM. Better to get Direct from the cam.
You can get Android boxes with Ethernet ports on them.

It pretty much is like an NVR with the exception of not having to run video cables.
Two of the ZM boxes is 800 feet away from the office.
I do this in residential too, although switching to the ZM box takes some time.
river100

Post by river100 »

BTW I had one guy who has 5 ZM servers at 3 different places.
He bought one of those huge flat screens, 70 inches or bigger.
41 monitors total. looks great on that big TV. Using an Android TV box.
Again, you can stream the cams direct to the Android.
You asked about a SUPER SIMPLE ZM install. There are ISO files,
Live CDs on the download page. just as easy as installing Ubuntu desktop.
Did one last night. works like a champ.