Question on compatibility of cheap USB capture cards

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Frosty

Question on compatibility of cheap USB capture cards

Post by Frosty »

I'm thinking of upgrading an existing security setup to use with ZoneMinder. The current system has four standard definition cameras, a crappy 30fps PCi capture card, and proprietary software leeching off a desktop computer. Instead of buying a UPS, we are considering just using an old laptop as a dedicated security camera computer and setting it up with ZoneMinder and Linux Mint. I am currently pricing it out and looking for usb capture cards. I found a few 8 channel, 240fps cards in the $30 - $50 range online, which sound great on paper, but don't want to buy any of them if they won't work with Linux and ZoneMinder.

Has anyone had any experience with using any of those inexpensive, high framerate multi-channel USB capture cards or have any instincts as to whether or not they would work with Linux and ZoneMinder?
Stay Frosty
rangerbob

Re: Question on compatibility of cheap USB capture cards

Post by rangerbob »

i like the zoneminder idea what i am not keen on is the laptop part.

The laptop hard drive was not designed to be under constant load. You will kill the hard drive fast.

You will see folks in the forums not speak that great about usb capture. Now these USb might be better i would scour the net for reference to these usb high muiti channel usb items and the linux compatibility Like the chipset being used folks experiences. last thing you want would be something that grabs 1-2 frames a sec per channel. #$@!

Might be nothing on the net even mentioning them if they are new. I always write to the manufacturers or the sellers to try a lspci with a Knoppix cd or something and some reply with info that sometimes you can learn more about or at least a older generation of the chip running it if there is no reference on the chip that is currently in it. And heck if its cheap sometimes its worth the plunge and then if its good let us know!

i would love to know more. but I know usb is funny and not the most stable. i would stick with some sort of supported pci in a regular desktop.

Whats the name of the usb high frame rat items any links? who makes them?

But do not let me deter you from pushing tech and having sucess.
Frosty

Vendor

Post by Frosty »

rangerbob wrote:i like the zoneminder idea what i am not keen on is the laptop part.
The laptop hard drive was not designed to be under constant load. You will kill the hard drive fast.
That is not something I had considered before, I will keep that in mind.
rangerbob wrote: You will see folks in the forums not speak that great about usb capture. Now these USb might be better i would scour the net for reference to these usb high muiti channel usb items and the linux compatibility Like the chipset being used folks experiences. last thing you want would be something that grabs 1-2 frames a sec per channel. #$@!

Might be nothing on the net even mentioning them if they are new. I always write to the manufacturers or the sellers to try a lspci with a Knoppix cd or something and some reply with info that sometimes you can learn more about or at least a older generation of the chip running it if there is no reference on the chip that is currently in it. And heck if its cheap sometimes its worth the plunge and then if its good let us know!

Whats the name of the usb high frame rat items any links? who makes them?
I did run a ton of searches with every combination of keywords relating to these cards that I could. The problem is that none of the sellers ever identify a chipset or even a specific model. Specifically, I'm thinking of the one that you might find if you run a google search for "240fps USB capture" and click the second (or first) link (the forums won't let me post links, sorry). It is a 240FPS card, so I know that if it works, it'll have plenty of framerate to provide for all the cameras that are currently hooked up or that might eventually get hooked up. I will have to try to get in contact with the various vendors of that card first and see if they know anything about the linux compatibility though.

I'm hesitant to buy one without confirmation that it would work because these things usually ship from overseas, which makes returns a major league hassle if it doesn't work.

If all else fails, I'll try to set up a desktop machine and a UPS. Does anyone know of any good compatible desktop PCi cards with support for 8 channels and 240FPS that cost less than $50?
Stay Frosty