Hardware Requirement for a 20+ IP camera setup

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
sincityharley

Hardware Requirement for a 20+ IP camera setup

Post by sincityharley »

I'm going to be setting up a 20+ IP camera setup in a commercial property. I've been reading through the wiki and forums about multiple camera setups. What I've been able to gather is that with the right hardware 20+ cameras should not be an issue with the right hardware. So what I'm not clear on is, what exactly is the right hardware setup? Does anyone have any experience with setting up this many cameras? What server is recommended for this size deployment? What should the specs on the server to be able to cover the load of 20+ POE IP Cameras? These cameras will run 24/7 and all in color. As far as the OS. I'm going to be running Ubuntu server 12.04. Unless anyone can tell me why I shouldn't.

Also I read that I should check that you're actually using a high memory capable kernel - many kernels don't enable high memory by default.
So how do I know if I am using a high capacity kernel?