NCP3000v2 16ch 4x fusion bt878a

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Multiplehabits

NCP3000v2 16ch 4x fusion bt878a

Post by Multiplehabits »

Hi guys
Has anyone got an NCP3000v2 16ch capture card to work? bttv is been a pain, with the gv800s been almost identical to the ncp3000 I tried using it's settings, I can get video ( only with bttv options card=158,158,158,157 though any other combo is blue overlay)for one camera but it displays on all screens eg video0 ch0 ch1 ch2 ch3 all get the same feed, it's really strange. both cards video feed is controlled by a analogue multiplexor, different makes but same chip layout pins. the only difference i can see is that the gv800 multiplexor 8x16 and the NCPs is 16x8? lol
heres a link to my cards website and the user manual pdf

[can't post links as im new :P]

I can post dmesg tomorrow as i've giving up trying tonight but i get alot of hsync oflow lines.
anyway thanks for reading and i hope one you are using this card and can point be in the right direction
cheers
gkmac

Re: NCP3000v2 16ch 4x fusion bt878a

Post by gkmac »

How many /dev/video's do you have in your /dev directory? If you have /dev/video1, /dev/video2 and /dev/video3 as well, try looking at those using the same "bttv options card=158,158,158,157" you have now.
Multiplehabits wrote:I can get video ... for one camera but it displays on all screens eg video0 ch0 ch1 ch2 ch3 all get the same feed
The pins that switch between video inputs are laid out slightly differently from card to card, which is why switching channels isn't having an effect. When you tell the driver a GV800 is connected, it's a fluke that the signals sent when the driver initialises happen to give you one working video input.

I've been given a "bigger" version of this card, the NCP3200v2, which also has 16 video inputs but has 8 bt878a chips instead of 4. I can get 4 of the inputs to work across the 8 /dev/video's, and like you switching channels has no effect. This is how it lays out...

Code: Select all

/dev/video0    input 4
/dev/video1    input 4
/dev/video2    input 3
/dev/video3    input 3
/dev/video4    input 2
/dev/video5    input 2
/dev/video6    input 1
/dev/video7    input 1
I'm currently tinkering with the bttv kernel driver and I think I'm close to making all 16 inputs work with all 8 chips. When I know more I'll reply here.
gkmac
Multiplehabits

Post by Multiplehabits »

Hi gkmac

Fantastic! someone to share my frustrations with.
If there's any thing i can do to help let me know.

I've been doing alot of reading about our cards, I know what your saying, thasts it's a fluke thats its working with one channel per chip, it seems the gv800 is identical to the ncp3000v2 with the same analogue switcher (mt8816ap) the gv800(s) on the other hand has the CD22M3494 switcher
thinking the upd ncp3000 been the ref board for the gv800 I cant see any major changes been done.

I've been looking through Bruno Christo's (the guy who added support for the gv800s to bttv) submission for the patch at linuxtv and saw some comments he made that made my belief little stronger.

to save you time i'll post a few for his points below:
I have a GeoVision GV-800(S) card, it has 4 CONEXANT BT878A chips.
It has 16 video inputs and 4 audio inputs, and it is almost identical
to the GV-800, as seen on http://bttv-gallery.de .
The only difference appears to be the analog mux, it has a CD22M3494
in place of the MT8816AP. The card has a blue PCB, as seen in this
picture: http://www.gsbr.com.br/imagem/kits/GeoV ... %20800.jpg .

This card wasn't originally supported, and it was detected as
UNKNOWN/GENERIC. The video inputs weren't working, so I tried
"forcing" a few cards like the GeoVision GV-600, but there was still
no video. So I made a patch to support this card, based on the Kodicom
4400r.

As you can see, the GV-800(S) card is almost identical to the GV-800
on bttv-gallery, so this patch might also work for that card. If not,
only a few changes should be required on the gv800s_write() function.

After this patch, the video inputs work correctly on linux 2.6.24 and
2.6.27 using the software 'motion'. The input order may seem a little
odd, but it's the order the original software/driver uses, and I decided
to keep that order to get the most out of the card.

I tried to get the audio working with the snd-bt87x module, but I only
get noise from every audio input, even after selecting a different mux
with alsamixer. Also, after trying to play sound from those sources, I
randomly get a RISC error about an invalid RISC opcode, and then that
output stops working. I also can't change the sampling rate when
recording. Any pointers to adding audio support are welcome.

This mail was sent using Evolution as described in email-clients.txt, I
hope the tabs/spaces are now ok.
looks like bttv gallery had a patch or something to get the gv800 working but bttv-gallery doesn't work the link goes to full page phishing adds so dont click it

if i come up with anything else i will post back

ps i take it you have look on UPD's site at the sdk the have updated windows drivers in the support forum area you have to create an account, before i got my drivers from MIRA as our cards are also branded by them. ncp300v2 is a MIRACAP1606 GV800 lol
thanks again for reply
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

Hi,

If this is not too different from the gv800, just different muxer chip, perhaps you can use the gv800 code and modify it a bit.
The MT8816[AP] is an analog muxer with 8 rows and 16 colums: sixteen X inputs and eight Y inputs. It uses an SPI interface which is fairly simple (If you have an arduino, you are probably fimiliar with the SPI interface). It contains 128bit write only RAM. The write process is fairly simple: bring CS(chip select) high, STROBE(latch pin) high, write the data, STROBE low(latch the data), CS low(to free the SPI bus)
So assuming the GV800 is similar but uses different muxer, perhaps the different muxer also uses the SPI interface. In that case, you will just have to figure out how to control the STROBE pin and what 128bit data you will need to write to the chip.

Here is the datasheet for the MT8816[AP]:
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... T8816.html
Kfir Itzhak.
Multiplehabits

Post by Multiplehabits »

Exactly what I was thinking, as Bruno said
GV-800(S) card is almost identical to the GV-800
on bttv-gallery, so this patch might also work for that card. If not,
only a few changes should be required on the gv800s_write() function.
The problem is I'm a little out of my depth, don't get me wrong i understand what needs to be done, I just lack the skills.
If someone was to help me out by telling where to start and how to do find what i need i have multimeters
thanks for replying
Multiplehabits

Post by Multiplehabits »

the kodcom 4400r is what bruno based his patch on. the kodicom uses the same mt8816ap switcher, I have tried using the kodicom options for bttv but I dont get any video

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Kodicom_4400R