Necessary HW for IP only setup

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
BiloxiGeek

Necessary HW for IP only setup

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I'm doing research into setting up a ZM rig that will be IP cameras only and need some suggestions/advice for the hardware needed.

I'm looking at some HD cameras that do 1080p video, possibly Grandstream GXV3672_FHD's. Initially I plan on getting 3 of them, hooked up via a POE switch TRENDnet (TPE-TG81G). I might expand that later to 5 or 6 similar cameras.

So what kind of hardware is needed on the zoneminder end to handle those streams at a decent frame rate? My plan right now would be to set zoneminder up to monitor at 5 or 10 frames per second, and then record at 30 when there's motion detected.

I've had zoneminder working before with some analog cameras so I'm pretty sure I can get things setup, I just haven't been able to determine if I need some sort of encoder/decoder card or just let the CPU handle things. I haven't bought any hardware yet so I'm not restricted there, but I don't want to have to take a second mortgage just to afford this setup.

I have poked around on BlueCherry's website and like the specs on their DVR, but I'm kind of confused on whether that rig and the card it comes with will handle the load I'm gonna be throwing at it. I've sent their support folks a few questions but they're a bit slow to answer.
BiloxiGeek

Re: Necessary HW for IP only setup

Post by BiloxiGeek »

Since I here nothing but the crickets in this thread; How about this question instead:

Would zoneminder running on a decent Core i7 quad core system with 8G of memory, gigabit ethernet to a POE switch be able to comfortably handle 6 1080p IP cameras? I've never worked with IP cameras so I don't have a good idea of what the system load would be if 5 or even all 6 of the cameras were to start being recorded simultaneously. My thoughts on setup would be setting zoneminder to normally work at 10fps, then bump up to 30fps when motion is detected

The rig I have in mind is Intel Core i7, 8G memory, dual gigabit ethernet (one for the home network, one to a POE switch), either 2 2TB drives setup as RAID1, or 4 2TB drives as RAID5. OS could be Fedora 20, or possibly Centos 7 if that is released by the time I get around to building this thing.