Outdoor IR Cam choices

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
alexanderfitu

Outdoor IR Cam choices

Post by alexanderfitu »

Hi all

New to the forum and very interested in trying out zone minder, it looks like a great piece of software!

I would be looking to have 2 outdoor cameras initially, they would have to work at night etc.

I have been looking at the Tenvis ip391w:

Wireless isnt required but IP is :)

Sorry no link (as it looks too spammy), so an ebay search for ip391w will show what I am looking at.

initial searches indicate that it should work correctly with zone minder.

I will be pointing them at my motorbikes so would like a fair bit of detail.

Any pointers etc would be great, don't want to be sucked into the crappy camera route and be disappointed.

Many thanks!
Carrier82

Re: Outdoor IR Cam choices

Post by Carrier82 »

The Tenvis seems to be VGA, so don't expect much detail. I would categorize Tenvis as "crappy camera", but it might fit your needs depending on the area you are planning to monitor (only a single motorbike with the motorbike filling most of the image area? What kind of detail is necessary?) And remember, cameras with built in IR leds tend to attract bugs. Not much help if a spider web is in front of the lens and you are far away to clean it up. Motion detection outdoors is usually out of the question too because of this.