CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
chickenparm1223

CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed

Post by chickenparm1223 »

I am building a DVR with two 16 channel Bluecherry BC-H16480A capture cards (a total of 32 channels). I am trying to find the right CPU. Do I want:
  1. A higher clock speed with a lower number of cores
  2. A lower clock speed with a greater number of cores
  3. Something else...
-Thanks

P.S. I am planning on setting the card to capture at 704x480 at a lower FPS if at all possible, I don't know how much this matters in this post though.
gerfry

Re: CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed

Post by gerfry »

chickenparm1223 wrote:I am building a DVR with two 16 channel Bluecherry BC-H16480A capture cards (a total of 32 channels). I am trying to find the right CPU. Do I want:
  1. A higher clock speed with a lower number of cores
  2. A lower clock speed with a greater number of cores
  3. Something else...
-Thanks

P.S. I am planning on setting the card to capture at 704x480 at a lower FPS if at all possible, I don't know how much this matters in this post though.
Hi chickenparm1223,

did you find any clue about the CPU?
Generally I would say (please tell me if I'm wrong)
> higher clock speed may account for (faster) image handling (grabbing, decompressing, etc.) and
> higher nr of cores may account for (more) parallel processing of cams/images.

br gerfry