port forwarding for zoneminder

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
alltech

port forwarding for zoneminder

Post by alltech »

I have port forwarded 80 to my zoneminder server on the telus d-link router and so far, cannot access the server.

So, mabey I am missing something here? Does it require TCP and UDP? is there more then one port required?

Thanks
BobS0327

Re: port forwarding for zoneminder

Post by BobS0327 »

Try changing the port to something other than 80. For example, use 8080 instead of 80. Port 80 is sometimes blocked by the ISP or your router may be using 80 internally as a method of remote administration which may be causing your grief.
PacoLM

Post by PacoLM »

If you are trying to access the external IP from your local LAN it will not work, even if the port is open. Is that what you're trying to do??

After more than 15 years, no longer using ZM as surveillance system.
Now in the dark side, using a commercial system...
alltech

Post by alltech »

Paco, yes, doing a whatismyip.com and accessing from the backside to test it is what I am trying to do. I will change the port to 8080 on my dlink router.

Another thing, zone minder is stuck in alarm mode. The event Id has not changed in two-three days. Lots of cars drive past the camera.
BobS0327

Post by BobS0327 »

Just a FYI. Keep in mind that you also have to update Apache to listen on 8080 by editing (updating) the ports.conf and 000-default files. Also, you'll probably have to allow 8080 on ufw.