ZM to House TV distribution help

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
znelbok

ZM to House TV distribution help

Post by znelbok »

Hi All

I am looking at including ZM into my (automated) house.

What I want to achieve is a channel for each camera on the TV. I also would like to get a montage of all cameras on the TV's.

A channel for each camera is fairly easy with one that has a composite output and a modulator (one for each), but I am not sure on the best way to deal with IP cameras and the montage.

The other option is to have one channel and then use the automation system to switch between the camera views.

There are four TV's in the house so it would be possible to use a cheap inexpensive device behind each TV (RasberryPi?) that could be used as a "client/viewer"

Whatever the result, it has to be easy for the handbrake (wife) to use and navigate.

Mick
pete_c

Re: ZM to House TV distribution help

Post by pete_c »

I currently utilize Homeseer / Homeseer Touch to view my cameras on the Touchscreens. I am "testing" an embedded VLC window in my touchscreens for better views.

I am starting to play with newer gen Megapixel cams and testing HDMI streaming via VLC out to the TV's. Works fine.

This takes the House TV (now HDMI) to security cams (now megapixel) to a whole different world.

It is much nicer than analog streaming and you will need to invest in HDMI distribution mechanisms.

So basically the core would be:

A capable box that would do multiple streams of HDMI out to and HDMI distribution box. (ZM will work). Testing with very small footprint core duo boxes with HDMI out. (IE: Aopen MiniPC's), mITX D525 Atom and Asus AMD E35. Also been testing XBMC Zoneminder plugin which works well. I did read something about XBMC for the RasberryPi somewhere/some place.

Here's a VLC stream running on a 34" LCD in the home office. The family room LCD works the same way but due to WAF only testing now in the office.

Here's a snapshot of the Touchscreen application running streaming from ZM.

Here a 4 streaming ZM composite touchscreen picture.

Zoneminder User

Box #1 and # 2 - Intel Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit server - Most current beta 1.28 - XX HD IP cams
Box #3 - AMD Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit server - Most current beta 1.28 - XX HD IP cams
Moved rest of analogue cams to Axis Servers and Grandstream cams.
Robbie

Re: ZM to House TV distribution help

Post by Robbie »

Raspberry released a new board camera, 5MP omni vision OV5647 kit. After reading your post, I'm trying to understand the hardware/software requirements to setup 5 cameras with hdmi streaming to a single display and motion recording to a zone minder server or nvr. Any suggestions would be a great help.