Current recomendations for a PoE IP camera?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
quietas

Current recomendations for a PoE IP camera?

Post by quietas »

I'm going to be installing 10-15 wired PoE IP cameras inside a couple of pharmacies. Since there are drugs being handled the resolution needs to be better than my 320x240 analog cameras, thus IP.

Will 640x480 be enough? I'm planning for 20-25ft distances in most cases, often less. I don't need to read the pills, but I need to see some detail.

I've got a pile of analog cameras on several PCs with Intel Q8400, 8GB of RAM, and a pair of PV-183 cards. Will adding 5 IP cameras with motion detection at night overtax the PC?

What out there is recommended for inexpensive (cheap) IP cameras that are PoE wired with IR nightvision? I don't need PTZ, though it would be nice to have the option on a few.
Flasheart

Re: Current recomendations for a PoE IP camera?

Post by Flasheart »

640x480 probably won't give you the clarity you need. 1280x1024 should, though.

Inexpensive, Poe, IR and with megapixel isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

But - you can skip PoE by buying a $20 splitter which will allow any non poe camera running at 5v or 12v to work. I use them a lot, widens the choice of camera massively.

Also - do you need IR? Clarity under IR is much reduced. Is leaving a light on at night an option?

If so, Axis 207M is a contender. No poe (but it's 5v so works with a splitter), no IR, but good optics and reliable.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Yeah basically avoid anything with built in ir. Even my ultrateck anolog cameras (auto iris) i got for nothing work better at night than most of thous.

Axis 216FD is the one I like as its very versatile. Can go outside as long as its not fully exposed. But in general if you want good and consistent quality axis cams.
quietas

Post by quietas »

I'll need a couple with IR probably. I haven't seen the final layout yet, but unless there is a light on 24/7 I'll need something inside the pharmacy entrances as well as areas with locked up controlled substances.

The rest of the cameras can be like you say, inexpensive but good.
quietas

Post by quietas »

I ran across the TP-Link TL-SC3171 which has 3 of my 4 requirements: IR, VGA, and cheap.

As for PoE I'll use some splitters, TP-Link also has TL-POE200.

The camera is on the HCL and seems to work well enough. The IR is only 10m, but that should more than adequate for indoor use to identify people. The best part is that I can find them for about $125. I don't expect magic from them like a $800 Axis camera, but it will suffice.