Foscam FI8918W a good fit with ZM?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
linuxsense

Foscam FI8918W a good fit with ZM?

Post by linuxsense »

I have a 5 camera (analog) ZM system and I need to add a basic camera to the interior of my garage. I am considering buying a Foscam FI8918W to use for that purpose since I am too lazy to run the cable to add another analog camera. Anyone using that camera with ZM? Anything else a better purchase at that price range ($99)? I need the camera by Tuesday so I am open to anything that I can get from Amazon via my Prime account. Having the driveway re-done on Wed and I'll need to keep the garage open while they do it and I have a bunch of servers and a ton of tools out there...gotta have something to keep an eye on it with...

Thanks for any input.
linuxsense

Re: Foscam FI8918W a good fit with ZM?

Post by linuxsense »

I figured I would respond to myself for use by others...

Why yes, it is a good fit. I have been using it for a few days and once I figured out the correct settings to add it to ZM its been working fine. Pan and tilt work fine and my modestly powerful ZM box can easily handle the overhead of the 640x480 image at 15fps along with my 5 other analog cameras. For the money I dont think you can do much better in a pan/tilt network camera.
DREMA

Post by DREMA »

Yeah, they're pretty cheap and work very nice qith ZM, look out for the updated control script, so you can pan/tilt it better, and also turn on/off the infrared leds when you need it.

I don't know if you get a stable wireless connection, but in my experience, they work better wired.
Just... enjoy life! :D
linuxsense

Post by linuxsense »

Yea, I have the updated control script for it, works really well. I have not tried the camera via WiFi, its in an area with good signal strength but its also in an area with a switch...easy choice ;-) Its nice to have WiFi as an option though. Nice little camera for the money. Sure beats the hell out of what $99 would buy you just a few years ago. Now I am just looking for an equivalent for outdoor use, those still command a premium.