Dual Card System

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
xxMOISESxx

Dual Card System

Post by xxMOISESxx »

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to have a System with 2 different cards (Kodicom 4400 and Geovision GV800 16ch each). Is this possible? any hardware requirements or conflicts?.

Thanks in Advance.
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

As long as the Linux kernel has drivers for those cards, they should work.

An issue you might have is the /dev/video[number] mapping is different every time after a system reboot.

If that's the case, you can force the mapping or have the system create symbolic links with names of your choosing (e.g. /dev/geovision0, /dev/kondicom0) using udev rules.
xxMOISESxx

Post by xxMOISESxx »

Thanks Tim.

I'm still not sure if I'll have to do this, but it's good to know that it is possible (as I suspected). I'll be back here for sure if I have to setup the system.
mainterpet

Re: Dual Card System

Post by mainterpet »

ATI Crossfire and Nvidia quad sli. Yes, I would personally get the same card. Both require specific system boards, of course. For example for Nvidia sli should be able to Board. Most of new motherboards support crossfire. With regard to food once you narrow down the Board to purchase, you can go from there.