Monitoring from a TV-tuner

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ziouzitsou

Monitoring from a TV-tuner

Post by ziouzitsou »

Hi there,
I am trying to setup a Hybrid TV PCI card on a old Pentium III with the latest debian system and to make the zoneminder to work with it.
The tv card is a saa7131e/03/g based model.
It is not autodetected so after hours i ended up to find at least one configuration for the saa7134 that seems to work well with tvtime.
I also created a monitor configuration in zoneminder that seems to work under some cases, where i had before started tvtime. Otherwise i get a black picture in zoneminder with the date-time info in the upper right corner.
Is this normal?
My source is from card's tv-tuner (not from card's video input) because the camera signal is multiplexed in the tv-cable.
So do i need a program like the tvtime to tell the tuner to choose a specific tv channel or not?

thanks in advance....
markrocker

Post by markrocker »

Thanks for sharing the such excellent concepts related to the TV tuner. I hope these tips will really help all the members.
joako

Post by joako »

Yes, that is probably your issue. You need to tell the TV tuner what channel to tune to somehow. I am not sure if this is supported somehow since it's not typical for the cameras to be on modulated coax. When I was setting up my home system I had massive issues with PCI compatibility because I am running it on an HP server (some ML-series tower Celeron 2ghz) so in the meantime while I waited for China to ship me some cards I grabbed some old TV tuner cards and used them but with the svideo and RCA inputs. Think of it this way: the cards use the same chips but on the tv tuner cards there's also a tuner module attached to one of the chip's input lines. There's also i2c bus to communicate with the tuner (e.g.: channel switching)