Low power, fanless, solid state DVR and six analog cameras?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ChrisL

Low power, fanless, solid state DVR and six analog cameras?

Post by ChrisL »

Hello, I just joined the forum and have been reading and educating myself over the last few days. I'd like to start using ZoneMinder but just want a lightweight, low-power, fanless, solid-state type DVR instead of a traditional PC. I'd like to have six analog cameras (to save expenses over network IP cams). I don't need to record video but do want to be able to have ZM send images (upon motion trigger) to an FTP server (or email them).

I've looked into mobile DVR's but I'd rather build a simple, inexpensive type of box myself out of generic components. I guess it all boils down to the capture cards and making sure they are compatible with ZM.

Can anyone make a recommendation as to what products or technology I should look into to do this? Given that I don't care about the heavy disk activity of recording video, is this idea feasible?

I'm thinking of something like the Fit-PC2 by CompuLab:
http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I think I could put together a similar device myself, or I could use an Asus EEE pc or similar. I'm not sure how six analog cameras would feed into such a small pc though as it couldn't accommodate a typical capture card but maybe the card can go into another box? Sorry for my ignorance here but I'm new to the camera side of this.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks very much!

-Chris
curtishall

Re: Low power, fanless, solid state DVR and six analog camer

Post by curtishall »

You will need a PCI / PCIe slot for a capture card...unless you plan on running USB cameras

We _may_ have a mini-pci capture card in the near future...but I'm not sure when.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Since a small solid-state type of pc would not accommodate a PCI or PCI-E card, is there a way to put the capture card in another box and then plug it in through USB into the pc?

I know Hewlett Packard makes a PCI Expansion Module, model GZ286AA. Not sure if that type of thing would work for this or not.

What I like about using a fanless, low-power pc for this is that it uses much less electricity and its safer to have on all the time. I'm not crazy about running a traditional pc 24 hours a day, especially when no one is home.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

ChrisL wrote:Since a small solid-state type of pc would not accommodate a PCI or PCI-E card, is there a way to put the capture card in another box and then plug it in through USB into the pc?

I know Hewlett Packard makes a PCI Expansion Module, model GZ286AA. Not sure if that type of thing would work for this or not.

What I like about using a fanless, low-power pc for this is that it uses much less electricity and its safer to have on all the time. I'm not crazy about running a traditional pc 24 hours a day, especially when no one is home.
Nope. You would need a capture card be it a PCI, PCIe, Mini PCI or Mini PCIe with a physical slot on the board.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
coke

Post by coke »

and wouldn't the other box contain a fan and be larger, therefore defeating your original goal?
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

What about using this Intel motherboard that comes with the Atom processor? Intel says it has "passive cooling". It has one PCI slot:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/M ... erview.htm

Would any of the ZoneMinder compatible capture cards work with this board? I would like six cameras so I guess I'd need an 8 or 16 port card.

This Intel board has a form factor of Mini-ITX /microATX compatible (170mm X 170mm). Building a pc based on this board would be fairly cheap and low power.

Thanks very much for any ideas.

My house went through a fire once and I also had a pc start smoking by itself some years ago. So, I'm a little nervous about leaving electrical stuff running.
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

ChrisL wrote:What about using this Intel motherboard that comes with the Atom processor? Intel says it has "passive cooling". It has one PCI slot:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/M ... erview.htm

Would any of the ZoneMinder compatible capture cards work with this board? I would like six cameras so I guess I'd need an 8 or 16 port card.

This Intel board has a form factor of Mini-ITX /microATX compatible (170mm X 170mm). Building a pc based on this board would be fairly cheap and low power.

Thanks very much for any ideas.

My house went through a fire once and I also had a pc start smoking by itself some years ago. So, I'm a little nervous about leaving electrical stuff running.
The Atom processor with would do okay with 2-4 cameras on a software compression card with a lower FPS.

Technically any electrical device you have could "go up in smoke"...it doesn't matter if the power supply is 50W or 500W.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
ChrisL

Post by ChrisL »

Curtis, Thanks for the assistance. Can you recommend a specific card that you have at BlueCherry that would work with that board & processor? I wasn't sure if the form factor of the board was an issue or not. The Intel specs say one PCI slot.

I don't need to record video on the local hard drive which, I think, is what most people would be doing. My objectives are just to view the cameras on the Internet and for ZoneMinder to ftp images on motion. Do my simpler requirements give me an advantage, such as using more than 4 ports on the Atom?

Yeah, I know that anything could catch on fire but having a traditional pc running an extremely hot processor that requires a fan just makes me more nervous than leaving something like a low-power pc going. Think of your router---it's kind of the same thing. Of course, it could cause problems too but it seems less likely given that it doesn't get that hot. Plus, there is a lot to be said for using less electricity.

Thanks!
curtishall

Post by curtishall »

ChrisL wrote:Curtis, Thanks for the assistance. Can you recommend a specific card that you have at BlueCherry that would work with that board & processor? I wasn't sure if the form factor of the board was an issue or not. The Intel specs say one PCI slot.

Thanks!
The PV-143 will give you around 2-3FPS for 4 cameras...the PV-149 would give you 30FPS for each port, assuming the processor can take it.

I would definitely add heat sinks...low power cases typically don't have much air moving around which means the chips will heat up quick.
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Yeah, I know that anything could catch on fire but having a traditional pc running an extremely hot processor that requires a fan just makes me more nervous than leaving something like a low-power pc going. Think of your router---it's kind of the same thing. Of course, it could cause problems too but it seems less likely given that it doesn't get that hot. Plus, there is a lot to be said for using less electricity.
Is why you PSU has a breaker and why ATX specks say 20 amp max per wire. Also remember servers run 24x7 and they run almost as hot. Now the best reason not to worry is its in a metal box. And yes I have a board cook itself but the breaker on the psu stooped it just like designed.