Looking for outdoor IR IP camera

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
mrvtec

Looking for outdoor IR IP camera

Post by mrvtec »

Hello.
I have just installed zoneminder and played with it a bit and I think it works really well.
But I am looking for a proper IP IR camera.
I already have a bought a cheap one from here ( http://www.bsti.com.tw/ip-surveillance/ ... index.html ).

I got i to work with Zoneminder but it has problem with delivering good pictures in the dark, they are over-exposed and blurry(tried to adjust it but it does not seem to be possible to get a good configuration).

It was cheap so I knew it was sort of a gamble and I won't complain about that but I am wondering what I should buy.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

Join the clube anything cheap below $700 performs horrible the best deal seams to be the mobix cameras but there not exactly cheap ether axis ones work good but the heat relly seams to get to them well mine anyways.
coke

Post by coke »

Distance is probably key. I've got an ACTi that makes a beautiful image, but it's only covering roughly 20 feet from the camera. Specs claim 15 meters. <$400

http://store.bluecherry.net/ProductDeta ... =ACM-1311N
mrvtec

Post by mrvtec »

Hi, thanks for the answers.
For one of the cameras, the distance does not be more than 5 meters, so maybe I should check it out. The second camera should be around 10 meters.

My current camera seems like it makes overexposure by having the "shutter" open too long(which also makes it blurry). But adjusting brightness etc does not seem to change that(like the exposure time is the same and the brightness is adjusted afterrwards). Also it does a poor job of autoadjusting brightness. :) Thats what I get from being cheap.
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Y-Cam Black has an external fitting available and does IR - and also works seamlessly with ZM.

Cost is around £150 and includes wifi.c

IR is limited of course, again around 5m. Using three of them and reasonably happy.
nerbonne

Post by nerbonne »

Do I need the external housing for the Y-Cam Black? I live in a fairly dry climate (San Diego).

Also, I see from the wiki that the Trendnet IP501P is supported, but what about the Trendnet IP512P?
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

If it will get wet, then yes you need a housing.

Unlike the axis ones, it's pretty cheap though. $50 on top. (Some of the high end housings are in excess of a thousand)
mrvtec

Post by mrvtec »

I have looked at Y-Cam black but I was unsure if it really could provide a proper nighttime image when there is motion. Oh well I might try it out also. I seem to have gotten addicted to Zone Minder now. :)

btw. I think the y-cams look a bit like the panasonic bl-c20 or is it just me.
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

Y-Cam blacks don't give a great image at night time, but I'm not aware of any camera that has its own light source that does. Less than 1A of LED's is not going to give light. If that's critical, you might want to add an IR floodlight.

Alternatively, and I've used this with great success - pair any old camera next to a normal 150 or 500 watt security PIR light. (they're a tenner in the DIY stores).

Light comes on when somebody walks past. ZM takes this as an unmistakable motion trigger and records modect with a very high success rate.
jeanleryenierga

Post by jeanleryenierga »

....next time, choose the good one to ensure it's visibility....