camera works in other applications but NOT zoneminder

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
stustev

camera works in other applications but NOT zoneminder

Post by stustev »

Gentlemen,
I cannot see the camera output in zoneminder. The camera link is red. I can see the camera in other apps.
I have seen this question numerous times in this forum. I have yet to see an answer. I need some kind of hint at what to look at.
I have changed permissions.
I have changed kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall.
I have changed the size of the camera configuration.
I have tried a local USB camera. Logitech Orbit
I have tried an IP camera. DLink DCS 5220
I get the same problem with both cameras.
I have reinstalled Ubuntu 9.1 and zoneminder to eliminate other possible issues.
I want to use zoneminder but I cannot make it work and I cannot find answers.
I hate to beg but I would really like to fix this problem so I can use zoneminder.
I probably have not seen ALL of the howtos/tutorials but I have spent more than 20 hours trying to find the answer to this problem. With NO results.
Is there an image (live CD) somewhere with zoneminder working. It is not required that I use Ubuntu. I would download an .iso and use it.
thanks in advance
Stuart
dhcpy

Post by dhcpy »

Hi !!

I'm new at the forum and to zoneminder too.
Not really sure if this is the right place for posting the question, but maybe we can help each other.

I have the same problem that you have. But something tells me that I'm just some steps away for finally getting it to work.

Here is the deal:
-I have an Ubuntu Desktop 9.10
-downloaded zoneminder 1.24.2 from Synaptic
- I have 2 capture cards, both of them are the infamous "Pico2000" card, with 4 composite and 1 audio in, with the conexant fusion bt878 IC.
- Very cheap generic cameras with NTSC,320x240, color, and RCA connection for video and audio and one for energy.

The thing is that I followed through exactly step-by-step this two guides:
:arrow: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... _interface (which is actually for ubuntu 9.04 desktop, but figured it should work for 9.10 too)
:arrow: http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Pico2000 (this are some excellent notes on my cheap capture cards, which provides some configuration on the system)

With those 2 guides I got the capture cards working, but not yet zoneminder.
I mean, I can actually see the images of the cameras from the 2 capture cards on XAWTV, but I can not yet see them on zoneminder.
I played just with that kernel.shmmax thing, like the guide said, but didn't work. I didn't know there was a kernel.shmall too and don't know how to modify that.

I believe that I'm just a few steps away, due to the fact that I can see the images on XAWTV.

Now..... could it be a zoneminder <-> Ubuntu 9.10 issue we are dealing here?
(I suppose you have ubuntu 9.10 too, don't you?)

anyway, wish you luck, and please, please tell me if you find some workaround for this.

dhcpy
stustev

Post by stustev »

Gentlemen,
I am beginning to think the problem is not Ubuntu - Zoneminder.
I think the 'cannot access shared memory' problem is MYSQL or Apache permissions. I am researching in that direction now. Haven't found anything yet.
You can be assured - as soon as I find the answer I will shout it from the rooftops.
thanks
Stuart