Interference???

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
bart613

Interference???

Post by bart613 »

Hello!

I'm just at the beginning of my journey with Zoneminder and cheap cams ;-) but already got into really annoying problem.

Basically, old P3 800, 512MB ram, Bt878[1] from ebay for £8 and cheap cam from ebay for £10 connected to first channel from the card (but also tried others) using 10m cable (to the same cable there's another one which is the power feed for the cam).

Everything (after a bit of fight) working fine, with one exception.

The image, seems to be having some kind of interference.

Eg.

Now, the first thing I suspect is this power feed that is attached to the antenna cable that with which the camera is connected, but I'd just to check with you guys, whether this can be potentially source of the problems.

Any suggestions, much appreciated!

[1] 02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 66, IRQ 18
Memory at 40400000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data <?>
Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: bttv
Kernel modules: bttv
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

I haven't had any experience with wireless analog cameras.

In my experience with wired analog cameras, the source of interference that looks like that had always been in issue with the AC adapter connected to the camera.

AC adapters at the local electronic shops (for me Radio Shack and Fry's) always have interchangeable connector heads and seemed 80% likely to cause that kind of interference. It might have something to do with local electronic shops selling shoddy equipment or interchangeable connectors. I now always get my AC adapters from CCTV suppliers (in my case bluecherry.net).
bart613

Post by bart613 »

timcraig wrote:In my experience with wired analog cameras, the source of interference that looks like that had always been in issue with the AC adapter connected to the camera.
Bulls-eye!

Fortunatelly, my camera was using 12V/1A adapter, and I've 3 others from spare modems at home. I connected one of them, and here you go! No interference.

Thanks timcraig!