Can I get this card to work with Zone Minder?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Pedro_BR

Can I get this card to work with Zone Minder?

Post by Pedro_BR »

Hello everyone, I'm from Brazil! (GO GO GO Rio 2016!)

I have this capture card and I need to know if it's going to work with Zone Minder, I'm using it under Windows but I want to migrate to Linux...

Close-up on the chipset:

The software bundled with the card is the worse piece of sh... software I've ever seen, crashes all the time and the interface is confusing and annoying.
And Windows XP isn't the best OS for a home server, Linux is much better!

(Sorry about the bad English!)
Pedro_BR

Post by Pedro_BR »

It works with the LiveCD! Not all 4 cameras though., still working on that. Thanks everyone for the immesurable help and assistance.
timcraig

Post by timcraig »

You can use the advice in the parent post of this thread:
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5921

If you run the command dmesg, you will probably see that linux detects the card and uses the saa7134 driver card. You'll also probably see messages that the card has no eprom and that you need to specify the card number.

You can run through 5 steps the thread posted with slight modifications:
for n= 0 to n=100? (depending on the max card numbers you're kernel supports) do the follwoing
1. stop zm ("sudo zmpkg.pl stop")
2. run "rmmod saa7134" (remove current driver)
3. run "modprobe saa7134 card=n"
4. start zm ("sudo zmpkg.pl start")
5. See if you get a clean on all your card's ports, if not start at step 1 again with the next number for n.