Hardware opinions?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Maxxarcade

Hardware opinions?

Post by Maxxarcade »

I am working on upgrading my ZM machine, and I have either a Pentium D 3.0Ghz (930 I think) with a Supermicro PDSMi motherboard, or an Opteron 170 with a Supermicro H8SSL-i motherboard.

The Opteron seems to work well enough from what I've seen during testing, but would the Pentium D be better? It uses DDR2 vs. the Opteron's DDR400, but I think the Opteron might be a bit more efficient with memory bandwidth.

I'm using an 8 input card, with each input set to about 15FPS. I figure I can put 2GB of RAM in either machine.

I'd like to end up with a Ubuntu based setup, but for now I'm using the Mandriva 2007 Live CD. I had bad luck with ZMLArch when I tried it.
kylejohnson

Post by kylejohnson »

I would go with the Pentium chip. Below are the basic differences between the two chips, so that you can judge for yourself:
  • Both CPUs are dual-core, so they are even in that aspect.
  • The Pentium chip is 1GHz faster than the Opteron.
  • The Pentium chip has 1MB of L2 cache more than the Opteron.
  • The Operton chip has a faster bus speed, 1000MHz vs. 800MHz, than the Pentium.