question about routing and subnets

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
paulievox

question about routing and subnets

Post by paulievox »

Hi all, please excuse the fairly basic question.

I'm using zoneminder with IP cameras, and found they put an immense strain on the local network (192.168.1.x). I rigged up a secondary router (10.0.1.x) for the cameras, and installed a second NIC on my camera server.

My intention was to have the server "bridge" the connections via a route. The only way i was able to gain connectivity from computers on the 192 side was this:
In the second NIC setup, i had to enter 192.168.1.1 as the gateway (as opposed to 10.0.1.1, which is what my secondary router lives as).

What I found was I had successfully reduced the load on my primary network, but ZM performance was extremely slow.

Here's my question: With my setup, is all traffic still routing from the 10.0.1.x network, through the 192.168.1.1 router, and then to zoneminder?

Is there a better way I can set this up? I like the idea of having the cameras on their own router for troubleshooting and security purposes.

And again, please excuse my rudimentary question.
Thanks in advance.
voronwe

Post by voronwe »

Hi

The way i normally do things, is to have the cameras on a seperate network, and only have the ZoneMinder server and cameras on that, and then if i need to get in contact with cameras i use my laptop and plug it in to the network, by doing that you know that only the ZM server and the cameras communicate on that network, you can then have the second nic serve the ZM interface to your organization, and thereby know that no unaurtherized acces can be made to cameras.

I would never bridge a solution like that, and only use a switch for the camera part of the installation.

And of course the ZM NIC0 and the cameras are in the same ip range eg. 10.0.0.x mask 255.255.255.0, and the the other NIC1 in the zm box have the following ip configuration 192.168.1.x mask 255.255.255.0 you then access the zm box via. the 192.168.1.x interface.
Best Regards
Tom Stage