What Hardware Is Recommended for ZM?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Carlwill

What Hardware Is Recommended for ZM?

Post by Carlwill »

So I have not had any luck with ZM recognizing my USB Logitiech web cams which is fine but my question is what DOES work? I don't want to add any kernel modules or mess with anything. Is there a camera setup that works for sure for most / all users? I don't mind paying more for a setup that will 100 percent work.

I checked the "documentation" page and the "wiki" but am unable to find anything that explains what is needed. I assume some kind of decent card that the cameras hook into and of course the cameras them selves.

Can someone please explain what a setup looks like for Zoneminder and also what cameras actually are virtually plug and play for ZM.

Thanks for any info and or help in clearing up my confusion.
It said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux...
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The problem with USB cameras is that most are junk, and all of them change hardware on a monthly basis. So when I tell you one that works, it will be superseded within an hour.

What just works are Axis IP cameras, and Provideo cards with analog cameras.

Other than that, it takes some searching and work.
Carlwill

Post by Carlwill »

So you're saying that Axis IP cameras work 100%? Is there a particular model that works?

If I have a ZM server up and running, what else do I need besides the Axis camera? Do I need the card along side with the camera? I just want to get something that works and stop mucking with configs that get me nowhere but frustration-ville.

Thanks for clarification.
It said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux...
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

I feel your pain. This business is extremely cloak & dagger when it comes to hardware, chipsets, drivers, etc.

I'd highly recommend that unless you have as much experience as guys like Lee Sharp have, then stick to what's recommended and works.