Dialing a phone number in case of alarm

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
haraldm

Dialing a phone number in case of alarm

Post by haraldm »

Hi,
I'm a newbie and would like to know how to configure zm that it dials a certain phone number when alarm is encountered.

Thanks for help

Harald
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

This is not a standard feature, while some have managed it, id take a look in the contrib area. Or do a search.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
coke

Post by coke »

Does the server in question have a modem and phone line (POTS)? It should be simple to setup a script to send "ATDT3145551212,,,,**1**" to a serial connected modem, at least, which would dial 3145551212, pause for awhile, then send **1** (maybe put your camera alert number in there, or whatever) into a pager. You should be able to find an external serial modem (any speed would do if you just want to page) for cheap. If I botched the AT command it's because I haven't had to type one in at least a decade.

Alternately, most cell providers allow you to email a text message to the phone, such as "3145551212@txt.att.net". Address varies by provider, but they're easy to lookup.
SlovakJoe

Post by SlovakJoe »

coke wrote:Alternately, most cell providers allow you to email a text message to the phone, such as "3145551212@txt.att.net". Address varies by provider, but they're easy to lookup.
That's exactly what I plan on doing. Once you have your mail server setup properly, sending out an SMS is trivial.